2003 DF115 Suzuki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 DF115 Suzuki

Hello, looking for some help/advice from the Suzuki experts. I have the opportunity to get a 2003 115 4 stroke very cheap. Without any special tools im assuming there is no way to determine how many hours are on the engine? I will do a compression test ( what should the PSI be?) do not have leakdown tester, I will hear it run and take a test run on the boat this am. What else should I check out? Estimated hours are 2000, id be happy if it lasted a year or 2 (for the price Im getting it for) till I can afford to re-power my Boston Whaler Outrage with a new one. Any advice would be a big help as I have never had any experience with a 4 stroke (got 30 years 2 stroke experience) but a newbie with the new stuff, thanks... Rich

compression should be between 120 and 150 but even across the cylinders. 110 is still ok as long as they are all 110. if one is 120 and one is 150 then that is no good. they all need to be within a few psi across all the cylinders. Also just listen for any tapping such as valvetrain noise. It could be ready for a valve lash adjustment. Those are the important things anything else is just minor and can be easily fixed.

Comment

thanks for the reply, wound up buying the engine with stainless prop, controls and gauge for very cheap, took it out for a rest run she ran fine. When I get it back to my shop gonna perform a leakdown test and see where I stand.

Comment

update

after further inspection the engine holder has a small hole allowing exhaust and water to escape out the port side. NO water in oil. Either I will replace the engine holder or weld it like some other people have done and hope for the best. Wound up getting it for 400.00 with everything (stainless prop, controls, harness, tach) so it can be a parts motor, but this will be my winter project..

Comment

jb weld has also been used

Comment

thanks, have used it also on other things with success , its definitely worth a try

Comment

another update, was about to go pick up engine and he texts me and says someone offered him more money after we agreed on the price and i got a hoist and flatbed trailer, oh well....

Comment

well he who hesitates looses the parking space ......... how much where you gazumped by as it was very cheap .

Comment

we agreed on $400 and he claims someone at the boat yard offered him $650, oh well, someone local to me has a project boat he no longer can finish and it has a DF 140 with only 140 hours so Im going to see it tomorrow, Im gonna try to just but the engine. Prob. better of without that 115 as it had 2000+ hours on it and the engine holder needed to be replaced.

Comment

Working...
                  X