Winterising - question re a bit of the Sticky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterising - question re a bit of the Sticky

Hi, I'm just preparing for my first Winterising (a bit of a disappointment since I only launched for the first time on 21 July, anyway) and have a query re the Sticky.

Where it says: "Run the fuel treatment for 10-15 mins THEN switch to the storage mix tank", I don't really understand this, 1. which would be the tank I've been using normally? and 2. What is the difference between the two?

Do you make up a separate (stronger?) mix of fuel treatment in another (temporary) tank - to get conditioner into the engine - THEN go back to your regular tank with conditioner added to protect the fuel in that tank? I am puzzled.

I think they are talking about @ lot of mech. Run a 6 gallon separate take that had been treated. Then they switch to your main tank. The way I do it - I put the sta-Bill I my tank a run it the day before you pull boat. What is more importance. I disconnect the main gas line and run my motor dry.

Comment

I think a moderator should clarify that part of the instructions. A separate gas tank is not mentioned before the instruction to connect it. I have heard of a recommendation to use a separate tank with heavily treated fuel to run the motor just before shutting it off but there are a lot of motors that do not have detachable fuel lines (my Yamaha F150 is one) so such a recommendation is useless - why recommend something that can't be done? As mentioned by one poster, I treat the on-board tank heavily several days in advance so that through regular use the entire fuel system will be treated. I fill the tank to about 90% or so during winterization - something that you will get different opinions on - some say leave the on-board tank almost empty.
      Ray
      2004 DF50

Comment

Thanks Guys, my tank is probably 1/3 full at present, ie approx 2 gallons.

What I'm thinking is that I'll put in a good dose of injector cleaner and run this for the next few weeks until I take the boat out for the winter.

I'll then fill the tank, to reduce condensation, and add a general stabilizer/cleaner of good quality and run the engine for a good 10 minutes or so every 3 weeks during the winter - negating the need for fogging.

I can't really see the point of switching fuel tanks except where one wanted the ability to control the concentration or type of additive - is there any need for this?

Having said this I'm a complete newbie to marine engines so...

Comment

Working...
        X