Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 2019 DF 150's Engine Interface Cable question

IMG_2642.jpg

Finally getting around to wrapping up the repower project and now this... The engine interface cable was connected to the "factory plug 2" because the is the only male/female connection available. There is no signal to the NEMA network from either engine when connected this was. The engines are not visible on the device list on any MDF. Did I get a cable with the wrong end? As always ay helps greatly appreciated!

IMG_2645.jpg
    Last edited by JLovett; 04-10-2020, 07:23 PM.

It all depends on how you are setting the boat up... but the key thing is that digital data only is sent via the SDS plug which I believe you have marked as the Data plug in your photo. That plug should normally sit in that small rubber holder when not being used.

Option 1
    If you are running 100% digital gauges, the engine harness that runs up to the dash needs to be plugged into the “data plug” marked as such in your photo. Then, the interface cable is connected to the gauge harness up behind the dash. This is the defacto “normal” use of the interface cable and it has the correct s e x plug on it to plug into the harness at that location.

Option 2
    If you still intend to keep analogue gauges running on the dash, the interface cable is plugged into that SDS plug, however it needs an adapter cable, called the SDS adapter cable, because the SDS plug is the wrong s e x to plug directly into the interface cable. As ypu have discovered.

This is the adapter cable needed.

https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...S-38p63581.htm

In the sticky thread near the top of the forum I have a document that explains all of this. It also includes details of where you can source the plugs to make your own version of that adapter cable. Have a read if it. It has a list of FAQ’s too.

What I always recommend is that you either make your adapter cable long enough, or if you buy one, that you cut it in half and solder/heat shrink in an extension so its long enough to reach from the engine, back thru the rigging tube, and up to the dash. By doing that, you will then keep the interface cable and it’s T piece up there where it is cool, dry and clean, and is thus protected from the elements and damage. Here in Australia Suzuki provides 20ft long SDS adapter cables for this reason. It will DEFINITELY extend the service life of your interface cable if you do this.

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter. Your sticky has been very helpful. But I seem to be missing something.??
      Running 100% digital gauges. 1 Simrad EVO2 and 2 C10's on 15 position NEMA buss w/ 3 power supplies, resistors on each end... ect. ect. Every other device on the network can be seen except the two interface cables. Currently the interface cables 4 pin plug is connected to the "factory 2" plug on the engine because that is the only male to female option. The other end of the interface cable (NEMA 2000) is connected to a Garmin brand 6 meter NEMA drop cable in the engine. The NEMA drop cable runs through the rigging tube, directly to the NEMA buss. And Iike I said the interface cables and the engines are not shown on the network device list.
      If I understand what you are saying, I should build 2 long 4 pin cables, connect them to the "data" plugs on the engines, route it through the rigging tubes (replacing the NEMA drop cable), move the interface cables forward to the dash, plug the new 4 pin connector cable into the interface cable and the NEMA end directly into the buss, finally reconnect male and female "factory" plugs on the engine. I will not be using the analog option but so what?

OR... build / buy short 4 pin https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...S-38p63581.htm SDS adaptors connect interface cable to "data" plug and pile the whole mess in the engine and continue to use the NMEA drop cable as my link between the interface cable and the buss.

Comment

OR.....
        You could open a beer, read Moonlighters sticky outloud and plug "Data" into "factory2", move the interface cable behind the dash, connect it to the 4 pin connector on the main wiring harness, NEMA end to the buss and BOOM the network "see's" the interface cables!!!
        Stupid is as Stupid Does...

Comment

Yep, always helps to read the info provided.

I knew you would eventually work it out.

Now read the bit about configuring the network too. With twins, setting each interface to reflect its engine location as port and starboard is CRITICAL.
          Last edited by Moonlighter; 04-11-2020, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X