Another Nmea 2000 Interface question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Nmea 2000 Interface question

In late 2018 installed the NMEA 2000 2.9.0 interface on my 2008 Suzuki DF200 connecting it to my Garmin 1040xs. Everything was working fine fuel flow, temp, oil, estimated miles, fuel tank, and rpm for a few months. Then slow one by one things stopped being transmitted to my chartplotter. Now there is nothing being read from the engine. I know this topic has been beat to death and I read nearly everything on this forum. Tried many to no avail. Please help. Greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lee

To save me suggesting things to try that you have already done, please list the things you have already done to try to rectify the situation.

Comment

Thank you in advance for the help. First thing I tried was cussing then I moved on to reading everything I could possibly do according to Garmin rep: check connections, continuity, hard reset, disconnect interface cable fire everything up and reconnect, disconnect power to interface and reconnect. I read here about reloading the data but the Garmin cannot see the connection so that didn't work. My local Suzuki guy has never heard of such a thing and believes it is a bad connection which I know it is not. When asked him why it didnt just stop everything at one time versus dropping information one thing at a time he looked at me like i had a horn growing on my head. At this point I am willing to try anything to include buy a new interface but what if the same problem happens again. Thanks again greatly appreciated.

Comment

Ok.

Look, its possible that the interface cable may have failed, but since its only a year or two old, that isnt very likely. Anyway, there are some things that can be done before throwing it out.

Firstly, the interface cables are made for Suzuki by Navico, and therefore they can only be configured, programmed and updated by Navico displays attached to the network eg Lowrance such as HDS and Elitie Ti models, Simrad such as GO and NSS models, and Suzuki gauges such as C-10. So your Garmin rep is not going to be any real help because they are unlikely to also know Lowrance and Simrad, and how they can be used on Suzuki networks.

Most of the things I would suggest requires one of those Navico displays to be temporarily attached to your network. Your Garmin CANNOT do any of these things.

So, first question: can you get hold of one of thise displays from someone for a day or two?? Are you on good terms with ypur Suzuki dealer? They iwll often have a C-10 gauge or two that they use in the workshop for setting the Suzuki networks up, if you ask nice, they might loan it to you.

Second question: Can you find the network device list in the Garmin display, and open it. Make sure the Suzuki key is turned on first. Is the Suzuki listed in the network device list? If it is, Garmin no doubt have some process to reset all network data sources simultaneously your Garmin dude will tell you how if you dont know, so do that.

If its not, listed, then there are a couple of possibilities - the interface cable may have failed, the T piece its connected to may have failed, or the wiring from the engine to the interface cable may have broken. The latter things are more likely than the cable failing.

So try

(a) swapping the interface cable to a different T piece.

(B) check that the adapter cable is still plugged into the SDS plug on the engine properly and into the interface cable at the other end properly

(c) Check that none of the wires in those plugs are broken or loose, or pins in the plugs are not straight and seated correctly. You will need to unplug them all, inspect, wriggle the wires from the back of the plugs, and then reconnect. Loose or broken wires in those plugs can be fixed fairly easily, I can tell you how.

If you can get a Lowrance Simrad display or Suzuki C10 on loan from someone, you can also try two things-

If the Suzuki device appears in the device list, you can select unconfigure and then reconfigure it.

Or you can try reloading the interface software to the cable. I can send you a link to V 2.9.0 software and tell you how to upload it.

Comment

Moonlighter, I do have access to a Simrad Go from a friend but I will check wiring connections and swap out T fitting first. Greatly appreciate your help with this. Lee

Comment

One thing I will add, based on what was discovered on another recent thread on this forum....

If your network backbone is not physically set up correctly, then data can and will be lost. It might work for a while, but it will NOT be reliable and stable.

The network must have a terminating resistor (TR) on each end of the cluster of T’s, and devices MUST ONLY EVER be connected to the leg part of T’s. Tops of T’s must only connect either directly or by cable to top of next T, or to a TR, nothing else.

So the network should look like this: TR - T -T -T - T - TR with however many T’s as you have devices on the network, plus 1 for network power. Ideally, power should be injected to a T closest to the centre of the group of T’s.
            Last edited by Moonlighter; 04-23-2020, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X