2012 DF175 Suzuki , engine is not showing up on my Lowrance network devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 DF175 Suzuki , engine is not showing up on my Lowrance network devices

I have a Lowrance Gen 2 Nd I can't get my engine to show up on my network. I select settings , network and devices. HDS Gen2 10 " MFD , HDS Gen2 10" Navigator,HDS Gen2 10" Sonar, HDS Gen2 10" iGPS and LMF-400 Suzuki [33] shows up. When I select LMF Suzuki and select data the screen is empty. I have checked the cable from the engine to the console to where the engine interface cable plugs in and the cable is good. I have the cable hooked to the diagnostic plug on the engine to the engine interface cable and to the back bone. It seems like it's not getting data through the backbone to the Lowrance.The reason i'm posting this is because my multifunction tachometer stopped working.The only plugs hooked to the backbone are the Lowrance , Suzuki fluid sensor , tach wires grey/black and green and blue, Suzuki engine interface and Suzuki multifunction tach. Any help will surely be appreciated. I can give more information if needed..

Ok to be clear, if you want BOTH the analogue tacho AND the digital data, you need to:

1. connect an SDS adapter cable to the SDS plug (the diagnostic plug) on the engine, and plug the Suzuki interface cable into the other end of that cable, then plug the network end of the interface cable into a network T piece on your backbone. (The SDS plug is held in a small rubber holder when not being used so make sure you have connected to the correct plug. The fact that your tacho stopped working suggests you may have connected to the wrong plug).

2. Make sure your network backbone is set up right, MUST have a terminating resistor on each end T piece, and devices including gauges, displays and the interface must only be connected to the leg of T pieces, never to the top. Power goes into a T near to the centre of the cluster.

3. And you must leave the engine harness connected to the standard output plug from the ecu in order for analogue data to go up thru the harness to the gauge harness behind the dash.

Comment

Thanks. I'm going to check the motor connection again at the diagnostic plug. I don't know how the tach ever worked before on his set up. It has 2 plugs on the engine. The plug with the blue wire,pink&white wire and green are connected to the same color plug on the motor. The other plug with the rubber cover on it , diagnostic plug don't have anything hooked to it. The backbone has the terminating resistor on each end. I'll get back with you when I get more information. Thanks

Comment

I was reading on the Suzuki site that some of the engines after 2011 that the wiring harness from the motor to the console has a connector on it IMG_5015.JPG to plug the backbone network system into.. It says its using one of the 2 plugs on the engine. One plug is plugged in and the other has a rubber cap on it..I'm confused about these 2 plugs can you tell me what the purpose of both plugs are and where they lead to? Thanks for your help..

Comment

Ok I will explain.

The engine’s ecu (computer) has 2 output plugs.

The one that is connected to the main harness from the factory is the analogue data plug. If you have analogue gauges, that plug MUST stay connected. Otherwise the analogue gauges wont work.

The second plug, the one normally held in the little rubber holder, is the SDS (stands for Suzuki Diagnostic System) plug. That plug has 2 purposes: first, it is connected to the laptop computer by technicians to read diagnostic codes and run tests when they service the engine. Secondly, it is the plug that outputs digital data to a NMEA2000 network.

Now, there are 2 ways to get digital data from the SDS plug onto a NMEA2000 network.

1. you can disconnect the engine harness from the anaolgue ecu output, and change it across to the SDS plug. This sends digital data through the harness up to the dash. When you unplug the analogue gauges, you can then connect the interface cable to the gauge harness in their place. But if course, the analogue gauges then cannot work. You would only select this option if you were getting rid of your analogue gauges and going 100% digital (eg using C-10 or SMIS GAUGES ETC)

2. if you want to keep the analogue gauges working, and also get digital data to the network so that engine data can be displayed on your Lowrance, then the SDS adapter cable must be plugged into the SDS plug on the engine. The interface cable then plugs into the adapter cable, and the other end then connects to the network via a T piece.

Comment

I made a cable and attached it to the SDS plug and ran it up to the console plug. To verify it working I hooked my laptop to it and all of the data appeared. I hooked it to the plug under the console and i'm not showing the engine data on my Lowrance. I have read and read all of the post and for the like of me I can't figure this thing out. I've got to be missing something on the wiring set up or the configuration. I called the GPS store about an sds adapter cable and they don't sell that stuff anymore. Said it was too complicated. I'm a diehard old guy and want to figure this thing out !The plug under the dash that I'm connected to might be the culprit. I have the backbone, the fuel cable and the suzuki engine cable and also the ends for the back bone. Power is hooked up in the middle of the back bone when the ignition is turned on. Might be a hopeless case for me but thanks for all of your help.

Comment

You have to remember that none of us can see what you have, so the details you provide need to be FAR more precise and clear.

I have no idea from what you said exactly which plug you connected the home made SDS adapter cable to behind the dash?

And you say you made a connection to your laptop and managed to get engine data - I have to assume that you have the Suzuki diagnostic software installed on the laptop, and made up another adapter cable to get data to a serial port on the laptop??????????? Because the standard engine plugs wont plug into a laptop..... but anyway that is all a side issue.....of limited relevance to the problem. And I have had to make many assumptions in there, because you didnt provide the full story.

Anyway, the principle is simple: the data from the SDS plug on the engine needs to get to the network, and it can only get there via the Engine interface cable.

Once the data gets onto the NMEA2000 network, it will get to ANY display on the network, including your HDS screen.

So the connection goes like this:

- SDS plug on engine, connected to
              - SDS adapter cable, which runs thru rigging tube and up to behind the dash where its other end has a 4 pin plug, that connects to the
              - Suzuki Interface cable, Which then has a NMEA2000 connector on the other end, which connects to a
              - Network T piece (to the LEG of the T not to the cross part)
              - and that T piece is part of the network backbone, and another of the backbone T’s is where the HDS is connected to the network
              - and engine data is then displayed on the HDS.

The things that can stop this chain from working are most commonly:
              - The SDS adapter cable being wired incorrectly (known to happen occasionally to factory cables and home made cables)
              - SDS cable is not connected to the Interface cable or a plug is loose or wire broken. Check connection and plugs.
              - A bad network T piece in the backbone, so try swapping the interface cable to a different T.
              - a bad interface cable (very rare if cable is new)
              - no power to the network (common issue, rookie mistake)

When figuring this stuff out, the best problem solving approach is to change one thing at a time, and re-test after every change, before moving on to the next item. A methodical and organised approach is always best.

At the top of this forum there is a sticky thread that I started on Suzuki networks that explains how this all works in some detail.

Please, please, read it and the attached document.

It includes has details of how to make your own SDS adapter cable.

Comment

Thanks for all the information and sorry for not having much detail on the under the dash wiring. I'm going to start fresh hooking this system up on my boat and that way i'll know where every wire goes and comes from. I have a GarminGPSMap 942sx and it says it supports the nmea2000 network. I'll just have to read up on exactly what I need to get this project started.. Thanks for all the help and information. I'll check out the stick notes again..Thanks

Comment

I forgot to mention my engine is a 2006 DF150 Suzuki. Is there a starter kit I can buy for my engine to get the network going.. Thanks

Comment

Please read the sticky, it answers every question.

Comment

Working...
                    X