2012 DF175 leaking gear oil out of lower unit at pump suction ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 DF175 leaking gear oil out of lower unit at pump suction ports

When I went to change my lower unit gear oil the unit was full of water. I replaced the 2 prop seals. Refilled with oil and ran the motor with the lush muffs on. I took the muffs off and a few minute later oil was coming out of the holes that the muffs covered. Could this be a bad seal or could it be a crack in the lower unit letting the oil out.. 2012 DF 175 Suzuki

2FD92ABB-F2F0-4DAF-9ACF-F91374101D4C.jpegF77A4A34-51B7-4075-B6EA-CC13B1530CC1.jpeg
    It could be the drive shaft seal... I’m going through this right now also... Did you ever run a pressure check??

Comment

I tried to run a pressure check but it was leaking the air out where you put the flush muff on..I'm not sure how the air could come out there unless the unit is cracked.. I don't know.. Does that big nut come off easy thats where i'm at on mu lower unit.. Thanks for sharing and keep me updated..

Comment

I'm having it pressure tested now and the top seals changed at a dealership.. Hoping this will solve my problem..I'll post later the results..

Comment

During my pressure test mine was leaking from the top seals... I could hear water and see water coming out of the vents were the muffs go. After I took the lower unit off I took the water pump off and tested it again and I could see air and water coming out of the seal around the driveshaft. My seals are on order right now. I will pressure test mine again once I reseal it.

Comment

C445072F-A8AA-411A-830A-4575EFCFB6D7.jpeg
            Originally posted by Bcribb View Post
            I tried to run a pressure check but it was leaking the air out where you put the flush muff on..I'm not sure how the air could come out there unless the unit is cracked.. I don't know.. Does that big nut come off easy thats where i'm at on mu lower unit.. Thanks for sharing and keep me updated..
            The nut came off easy for me... my boat is 95% freshwater... I soaked the nut with wd-40 and used a giant crescent wrench...once it’s off the 2 seals are right there.

here is a pic of the seal that failed

Comment

I won't know anything till Monday on my unit

Comment

One of the top seals was completely worn out. Pressure test was good and unit is ready for installation.. Sure beats having a cracked housing that I thought was the problem. Sometimes its good to take your stuff to a professional because they have all the tools and experience on these kind of problems..

Comment

Working...
                X