No Power to Helm or Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Power to Helm or Engine

I have a 2017 Suzuki 140 outboard.... Was out gigging last night and the boat ran fine. Went to a couple spots and turned the boat on and off, trimmed the motor up and down with no issues. Once trying to head home for the night I found out that I lost power to the trim and to the motor. Power to all electronics, radio, gps, lights... all ok... Couple years back I had an issue with the white wire and in line fuse. Check those and everything was good to go. Ended up having to be towed home. Reading a thread this morning someone mentioned that if they pushed the trim on the motor and on the throttle at the same time they would get power back. Went out to the boat and when you push the trim button simultaneously I get power back. The motor will trim and I even get power back to the helm and the engine will start. As soon as you let go of one of the trim buttons, power is lost again. Any idea?

Skiffs this would be my initial thoughts.
    First the W.W. -- confirm you are getting power to the ignition Key? As I mention in the Sticky for the WW- if that wire is compromised in any way, the engine stops and will not run-period. The trim at the helm works off that power source. Your boat sounds to be wired the same as mine in that the helm power is also fed by the WW.
    The power to the trim on the side of the engine has a different power source. So the trim works from this switch independent of the helm.
    So here is only a guess on my part-- when you trim from both trim switches at the same time- power is feeding back from the engine trim switch to the helm-until you let go of the switch- then it dies again.
    long story short- you are back to figuring out where the break in the WW is.
    Art

Comment

Thanks for the feedback artd175. I took your advice and followed the white wire.... Followed it through the boat and into the motor. Come to find out, there is a connection right after the wire enters the motor. Since we were gigging in some skinny water I put the motor all the way up and the wire got tight and pulled the connection apart. Put the connection back together and got all my power back and the boat powered back up. Thanks for the help and advice!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X