Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controls and Gauges - 2007 DF300 Twins vs 2020 DF300AP twins - compatible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controls and Gauges - 2007 DF300 Twins vs 2020 DF300AP twins - compatible?

I have a pair of 2007 Model DF300 outboards, dual C10 gauges, fly-by-wire binnacle, pushbutton start/trim switch, etc.

If I repower to 2020 Suzuki DF300AP, what all will i be required to change?

Will the existing wiring harness work, requiring only new interface cables? Or will I need to re-rig the entire harness?

Considering a repower, and looking at my options.

Thanks

Not sure about the harness and controls compatibility, I doubt they will be given the A series were quite a major technological upgrade, but you WILL DEFINITELY need new Engine Interface Cables because the interface cables from your 2007 engines are not compatible with the new engines. You should sell them with the old engines, or if the old engines are not serviceable, those interface cables are highly sought after by people with engines up to 2007. And they are valuable.

The C-10 gauges will be fine. At most, you might need to update their software, but probably they will be OK as is.

To be honest I would recommend that you change out the harness controls panels etc too. We do see a number of cases reported here in this forum where people have strange electrical/code issues and quite often, it turns out to be corrosion or damage to a harness or controls, and of course the likelihood of all of that increases with age.

I think it would be false economy to try to re use those old components, for me, it has too much potential to detract from the good experience of those beautiful new 300A’s. just my 2c...

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
      Not sure about the harness and controls compatibility, I doubt they will be given the A series were quite a major technological upgrade, but you WILL DEFINITELY need new Engine Interface Cables because the interface cables from your 2007 engines are not compatible with the new engines. You should sell them with the old engines, or if the old engines are not serviceable, those interface cables are highly sought after by people with engines up to 2007. And they are valuable.

The C-10 gauges will be fine. At most, you might need to update their software, but probably they will be OK as is.

To be honest I would recommend that you change out the harness controls panels etc too. We do see a number of cases reported here in this forum where people have strange electrical/code issues and quite often, it turns out to be corrosion or damage to a harness or controls, and of course the likelihood of all of that increases with age.

I think it would be false economy to try to re use those old components, for me, it has too much potential to detract from the good experience of those beautiful new 300A’s. just my 2c...
      Thanks for the response.

Honestly, I plan to swap all of the stuff, I'm more concerned if the existing holes in my dash will line up, or if I'll be forced to re-do all of the fancy acrylic work I've had done.
      The C10 gauges are flush mounted (fully flush, glass-helm style, not 'surface'), so I plan to keep them. I actually like them better than the new ones, anyway.
      The key switch/kill switch I'm not too worried about.
      The new binnacle will probably cover the existing binnacle holes, if they aren't the same.
      The real wildcard is the push-button/troll mode parts. They don't appear much different, but I guess we'll see.

I think you're right about the harness/rigging. Probably best to keep it all together.
      Regarding the '**** mine' interface cables, I definitely know their value! I tried finding a set when the guy I bought my engines from didn't include them in the sale! Come to find out, he just tossed them in a box with NMEA wires and didn't realize I needed them. Luckily I didn't have to buy any, and they're actually functional with my '07 engines thanks to a lot of reading on your past posts/research.

Now I need to decide if 300AP or 300B is the better choice. I wish I knew someone who went from 300AP to 300B's, and can chime in on any notable gains/deficits.

Comment

Working...
      X