Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member, Soon to be owner DF200A

Hello all,
    I have read most of this board and appreciate the knowledge being shared.

Just ordered a new 2017 Avalon 2485 LSV QL Tritoon with a DF200A. I look forward to taking delivery of this in the early spring and getting on the water next year.

One thing that comes to mind at the moment is....
    With the DF200, Will the gauges be connected to an N2K network so that I could add a C10 or equivalent type device? The one I looked at had all the round gauges and a separate warning light pod.

Thanks in advance.

Don
    2017 Avalon 2485 LSZ-QL with Suzuki DF200A

Hi Don and welcome aboard!

These days, the motors from most manufacturers don't come with a standard set of gauges any more - each motor has to be ordered with the set and style of gauges that the purchaser wants.

With the Suzuki's this is no different.

There are 2 fundamentally different directions you can go with Suzuki engine information:

1. Analogue gauges - this is the old style gauges with dials etc. Suzuki have 2 different sets - the economy set and the deluxe set. You pick and choose which ones you want.

2. Digital displays - these are all based on connection to the engine's via a NMEA network. In the US there are 2 main options -

(a) the older SMIS displays based on the Lowrance LMF 400 and 200 displays; or
    (b) the new C10 displays.

So now we understand that, to answer your question, if you ordered the boat/engine with the SMIs or C10 displays, then it will come with a NMEA2000 network installed, an you can then very easily expand that network to include any MFD's etc that you subsequently install.

But if you order it with the analogue gauges, as it sounds like the display model you saw had, then no, it wont come with the N2K network installed. You would have to retro-fit it all later. You may end up with holes in the dash that you wish weren't there.

So it would be wise to have a think about what approach you really want to take re engine data, and discuss this with your dealer.

My recommendation?

If you are thinking that you would really like the functionality of the C10 displays (very useful!) it will be much easier and simpler, and possibly less expensive, to get it set up how you really want it by the dealer before you take delivery and when they are ordering the motor from Suzuki. They can then set it all up, configure it all properly, and have it ready to go for you. Just make sure you get them to walk you through it thoroughly on the delivery day and that it all works as it should.

Comment

Thank you Moonlighter!

I guess I will call the dealer and check into the N2K and MFD.

For the MPG etc. Do you know if the MFD will get the GPS from my Lowrance Elite 5? I think it is a NMEA1983 (?) device. Or will it come with a GPS module automatically? I assume it will need GPS (or a wheel)for that function to calculate.

I have read enough to be dangerous I think...

Comment

Moonlighter is our resident expert
        only thing I might add is you are going to need a bigger display than 5 inches

when I upgraded from the 5" unit I said I am only going to do this once
        I was looking at the HDS 7 and 9... bought the HDS 9
        display was too compact even on the 7
        on the 5 you are needing reading glasses to see anything

and the newer units are NEMA 2000 compliant --which I think your DF200 will be
        my $.02 cents worth
        Art
        Last edited by artdf175; 10-19-2016, 02:22 PM. Reason: added infor

Comment

Originally posted by BigDfromTN View Post
          Thank you Moonlighter!

I guess I will call the dealer and check into the N2K and MFD.

For the MPG etc. Do you know if the MFD will get the GPS from my Lowrance Elite 5? I think it is a NMEA1983 (?) device. Or will it come with a GPS module automatically? I assume it will need GPS (or a wheel)for that function to calculate.

I have read enough to be dangerous I think...
          If you ask the dealer to supply the C10's they will probably ask you if you have a MFD you want installed and connected to the network, or if you want them to supply and install either a MFD or a GPS puck so the network gets GPS/speed data and can therefore calculate mpg, distance to empty etc.

As you say the Elite 5 is only NMEA0183. You can't get 0183 to interface with the network, so it won't do the job.

To get the network to calculate and show mpg you need a MFD that can connect to the N2k network, or a GPS puck.

In that regard I agree with Art that a 7" screen is much better!

I recently upgraded my old HDS5 to a Simrad GO7XSE with Totalspan transducer and it is a fantastic unit and great value for money. It also has engine data pages and engine data overlay capabilities so you can take advantage of that as well. Worth a look! Just make sure you get a Navionics card with it that covers your area.

Comment

Thank you all for the GREAT info.

I will check with the dealer.

Comment

Working...
            X