2018 DF300 fuel usage reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 DF300 fuel usage reading

I have a 2018 DF300. It has a 2" SMIS gauge at the helm. It currently reads the RPM and trim level. The gauge has a bunch of pages that do not have any data on them I would like to get the fuel usage on it and maybe some other data. Is there something that has to be added to see this data or is it a setup issue.

Need more information. Such as

what other gauges do you have?
    what info do you get in those gauges?

In the meantime, here is a link so you can download and save the user manual, its well worth reading. It includes details on how to set up pages etc.
    https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...nch_Manual.pdf

Comment

I have fuel, speed, rpms, all on analog gauges. The 2"SMIS is the only digital gauge. The 2"SMIS gauge is reading the trim level, depth, maintenance alarm, and rpms. I am curious if getting the fuel consumption and the other readings, that the SMIS gauge is capable of, can be programmed or do I have to add sensors etc to get those readings? I have asked the dealer this and they are not very forthcoming with any answers.

Comment

That 2” SMIS gauge can only work when connected to the engine through a NMEA2000 network, so the fact that its already reading trim etc means that the NMEA2000 network and connection to the engine is already set up. Which is great, saves you the time and expense of doing it!

Which means that all the data from the engine is already available. The Engine data automatically available to the gauge is as follows:

RPM, alternator voltage, engine temperature, engine hours, trim, fuel flow rate, fuel used, seasonal fuel used, trip fuel used. Engine diagnostics are also transmitted from later models.

So its a matter of either accessing the other pages that are already on the gauge, or, setting up the pages you want so you can see the data you are interested in.

I am not going to type out the instructions on how to access/add pages to the display from the manual, but its not too hard, its explained reasonably well there. So, look at pages 18 to 20 in the link that I gave you in the previous reply. Use the up/down arrows to scroll thru the existing pages.

BONUS INFO!
        I would also add that since the gauge is already connected to a NMEA2000 network, it is very simple to share engine data with many Sonar/GPS screens, (we call them a multi-function Display these days (MFD). All you need to do is add an extra network T piece to the existing network backbone, and then run a NMEA2000 cable from that T to the NMEA2000 plug on the back of your MFD. Done.

What make and model MFD do you have on your boat? Can probably tell you how to connect it up. check on the back of the display to see if it has a small plug for NMEA2000 connection.

The bonus of doing this is that it allows the SMIS gauge to use fuel flow data from the engine, plus speed data from the GPS in your MFD, to calculate and display real time mpg. Most MFD’s that are compatible will have a virtual dashboard page that shows nearly all the engine info in one place. Much easier to read than the little 2” SMIS.

Comment

That is great news. I will try to set up the other pages . I currently do not have a MFD installed. I do have a Simrad GO5 that I will be installing. It does have the NMEA2000 connection on the back. I was thinking about tying that into the system. That is the reason I asked. Did not see the need in spending a ton of $$ to make that happen on a pontoon. Thanks for all your help

Comment

The GO5 will have the Instruments page and will show engine and fuel related data just fine. I have my engine data on a GO7xse.

Just suggest you have a look behind the dash and find the line of T pieces that makes up the network backbone. Hopefully yours are black or red, and not the old proprietary Lowrance blue/grey large ones. The blue/grey ones are different connectors and are no longer available, although there might be an adapter cable to run between them and the newer Small black version that is industry standard across all brands.

Once you connect the GO unit to the network, you should run an auto select procedure on it so it connects up to the correct data sources on the network. Very easy.

Here is how: turn the engine key on to where it beeps and the gauges including the SMIS are active. Then in Simrad, select Menu/settings/network/device list then choose the option to auto select data sources. It will pop up a serious sounding warning but yes, you do want to do it and its safe to do so. So proceed.

good luck with it all.

Comment

Thank you, I will and hopefully everything goes well.

Comment

Working...
              X