40hp outboard chirp and motor not peeing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40hp outboard chirp and motor not peeing

I put the pontoon with my 2004 40 hp four stroke Suzuki in the water for the first time this year. It ran a few minutes and starting doing a short chirp every 10 seconds or so. No water was coming out of the telltale on the back of the motor. Is the alarm sounding since it is clogged or because the impellor/water pump is not working? Impellor is looking a little worn but not terrible. Just curious if the alarm can be caused by the telltale being clogged not lettering water to leave the outlet tube drain.

the chirp may be the oil change reminder
    You can't tell if an impeller is bad from just looking at it. These should be changed every 2 years or more often based on usage
    the telltale is used to let you know water is flowing to the head. However it can be plugged fairly easily. take either a heavy piece of mono or maybe a piece of stainless wire and push it up the tube a short distance. but would change the water pump anyway.
    Art

Comment

Ok, thanks for the reply. Is there a way to reset the oil change reminder? We will change the impellor and see what happens.

Comment

Yes to resetting the oil reminder, but do not have access to my manual will look later

Comment

I found out how to reset oil life.

Comment

Working...
          X