DF140 Check Engine light over 5200 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140 Check Engine light over 5200 rpm

Hi everybody, I've been having a problem with my 2009 Suzuki DF140 XL. I have a Faria Tachometer with the 4 Suzuki indicators on the bottom, which seems to be working properly since all lights turn on solid red and there's the buzz when I turn the key half way. Now, when I speed up to over 5200 rpm, the check engine light starts to dimly turn red, and the more the rpm, the more solidly red the light is. The buzzer doesn't go off, and if I back off the throtle a little, the red light becomes fainter, and eventually under 5200 rpm it's off. The over rev light doesn't come on at all, even as I reach 6000 rpm at WOT, and neither does the rev limiter kick in, so I'm guessing the Faria instrument isn't showing a lower RPM than the actual. Other than that the Suzuki works perfectly. Any suggestions for my problem?

Sounds to me like a problem somewhere imn the wiring harness to the tach. I have all Faria instruments, too, but my tach has the hour meter, and the indicator lights are on a separate 2" gauge. Might be a problem with a ground wire, or something else. Unfortunately I don't know where you should look initially, except that I do feel that it's in the harness somewhere.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I try to see if I find anything in the service manual or wiring diagrams.

On a DF140A, I do know that the 4 pin plug going into the tach is for the monitor functions, and the other end is between the air silencer and starter next the the rubber capped SDS plug; It's the 4 pin plug that is secured by plastic snaps and connects to the gauge connector. The wire colors at the motor connector should be: green /white, pink /white, and blue /black.
      Last edited by Nayna32; 10-27-2016, 07:07 PM. Reason: corrections
      Henry

Comment

So you're saying I should check out the 4 pin plug first? My knowledge of electronics is very limited, what should I check?

Originally posted by Nayna32 View Post
        I try to see if I find anything in the service manual or wiring diagrams.

On a DF140A, I do know that the 4 pin plug going into the tach is for the monitor functions, and the other end is between the air silencer and starter next the the rubber capped SDS plug; It's the 4 pin plug that is secured by plastic snaps and connects to the gauge connector. The wire colors at the motor connector should be: green /white, pink /white, and blue /black.

Comment

Check for corrosion in the joins, wires broken or corroded where they enter plugs and wires broken or damaged where they connect to the pins - from the back of the plugs.

Look for any wiring that has chafed or rubbed thru where they pass thru bulkheads etc.

unplug, inspect, check, reconnect.

Comment

Will do that, thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X