Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Suzuki DF115 - SUNK in saltwater

Hey guys.

New to the forum here as this is my first post. I just bought a 2013 115HP outboard that sunk. I paid $700 for it, and hope to get it back in running condition over the winter. I am new to 4-stroke outboards, but not new to engines themselves.

The gentleman I bought the engine from didn't seem to have much info about the motor, other than the guy that he bought it from sunk it. I dont know if it was running when it sunk, or it just sunk at the dock.

The engine turns over fine (wrench on the flywheel) and I stuck a fancy borescope camera down the bores, and the are not all scratched up (a bit rusty, but nothing major). I pulled the oil fill and from what I can see it looks pretty clean in valve drivetrain.

I pulled the dipstick, and the oil is an un-nerving yellow creamy color.

I am not going to get a chance to work on this engine until the new year, so my question is, how should I store it? I was thinking of filling the entire engine up with diesel fuel until I got a chance to work on it. I could plug the oil dipstick and just pour the diesel into the oil fill until the engine is full. Thoughts?

My guess is best practice would be to just toss the entire wiring harness and replace it. Rebuild the starter and clean up the flywheel the best i can. Anything else you guys can think of? Anyone have experience with sunk motors?

Thanks in advance, I am sure I will have more questions as I dive into this thing.

-billy

Last edited by billybaru13; 10-31-2016, 11:04 AM.

Comment

more pics...

Comment

sunk

Billy, I would firstly remove the ecu and fuses and give all electrical part a good soak with some electrical corrosive inhibitor spray, If you remove the fly wheel remember its a left hand thread.
        Fill the sump and pots with engine oil rather than diesel and lay it on its back to store

Comment

Sunken motors should washed very well outside and then be running as soon as possible to reduce internal salt water damage.
          Where i worked soem years ago we did a lot of sunken engines, some with more and some with less success.
          The first thing i would do is pull valve covers to check the conditions there,
          then try to fire her up, but you need probably the control, gauges and key panel.
          If you can make her running and there are no strange noises or leaks, then i would toss the complete harness, ECU and sensors and rewire it completely new.
          Chris

BTW: Thats a nice workshop and a nice Turbo hanging around
          Last edited by ChrigelKarrer; 10-31-2016, 05:03 PM.

Comment

I met a gent who got a Force 2 stroke working that was underwater for a week.
            No computers. I'd hit it sooner than later.

Comment

Working...
            X