Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200HP 4 stroke Suzuki outboard

Hi! I'm Phiroze, just joined the Forum.
    Need help for a 200HP 4-stroke outdoor . The engine starts without a problem,but gives an alarm at idling speed and goes away as soon as the rpm is increased slightly , also the alarm goes away when the ahead or astern movement is given. Not much experience with outboard motors. Any suggestions will be most welcome .
    Thank you.

My first guess is overheat alarm while ideling due a worn or prong impeller.
    I had this once as i had to mount a 175hp lower unit on my 200hp and the water pump was too weak. Installing the 200hp water pump solved this problem.
    Are there no alarms on your Tach or SMIS gauge?
    So make sure what it is you should ask a mechanic to check if there are error codes stored in the engine computer.
    Chris

Comment

Phiroze, welcome to the forum
      you didn't state what year your engine is, which is important
      also how many hours has it been used?

As Chris suggested the first thing to look at is the water pump
      Maintenance is a critical part of owning any outboard especially if used in salt water.
      If in fact the water pump has not be serviced for some good period of time, that seems to be the obvious place to start.
      It should be changed, at a minimum, of every two years, unless the engine is used a lot, and then more often.
      When replacing this make sure you get the full water pump kit, not just the impeller.

Also to mention, if you do not have the full service manual, I highly recommend that you obtain one.

Art..

Comment

When replacing this make sure you get the full water pump kit, not just the impeller.
        It is also of essential importance that you pull the lower unit every one or 2 years.
        The reason for this is that there is a history of various brands of outboards with the drive shaft stuck inside the motor because people did not pulled it.
        Once the lower unit is off, clean the drive shaft, clean very well the splines and grease it again very well to avoid that the shaft bonds with the engine.
        A stuck drive shaft is not very simple to fix and in extreme cases you will need to cut it and pull the engine.

Chris

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Will look into it . Appreciate your taking the time to reply.
          Cheers!
          Phiroze

Comment

Thanks for the input .Will check when the last service was done .
            Cheers!

Comment

Thanks ! Will check out the year of the model and get a full service manual.
              Cheers!

Comment

Working...
              X