Oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak

Just changed the water pump on my 2002 DF140 and after replacing everything I have a significant oil leak. I only see the link when the motor is tilted up and I really can not see where the leak is coming from but it appears to be running down the swivel bracket arm. Just cannot see very much. I read some old posts regarding this issues and wanted some thoughts. There were also some photos fro old posts but they would not load. If this is the issue is this something I can do as long as I have tool and a lift? Are any special tools or info need? Thanks in advance.

Bump....please help guys.

Comment

Are we talking engine oil or gearbox oil?

If engine oil, the DF140’s have a oil cooler that is prone to corrosion. Check that.

Or, the new oil filter you put on isnt seated correctly - some after market filters dont have the correct shape and the body of the filter hits the engine before the seal seats
      firmly enough to seal.

Or, someone overtightened the oil filter (eg they used a filter wrench instead of firmly hand tightening it) and split the filter body.

Or, someone left the oil filler cap off .... sorry but it wouldnt be the first time.....

Comment

Moonlighter thanks for your response. It is definitely engine oil.I did not recently change the oilor filter. I put on a new water pump and after reattaching the lower unit I had a leak. I am wondering if when reinserting the lower unit I punched through a plate or bushing on the lower part of the head. The oil leak appears only when the motor is tilted. Any thought are appreciated. Thank you for offering a response.

Comment

Working...
        X