oil leak at tilt up and water in the oil,, sometimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil leak at tilt up and water in the oil,, sometimes

I have a df70 2006 I think. Compression is 210 across all. When I tilt the motor, it leaks about 2 tablespoons of oil out around the leg cowling - I've run it for weeks without water in the oil, then suddenly the oil is milky... - Thermostat is working fine so its not condensation

I had a mechanic pull the power head off - base gasket seems fine, as does the main seal -- ANY ideas??

thanks in advance

I had a similar oil leak issue on my F250,
    sometimes when tilting the engine there was a bit of oil leaking from somewhere in the cowling.
    As i could not reproduce it and it happen sometimes and after some time i guessed that it was a small leak poodeling in the cowling till it was full.
    Check your dip stick seal on the dipstick, sometimes they get old and torn and leak when tilting the engine.
    Beside the environmental issue of the oil leak, the water leak in the engine oil is much more serious.
    As it don't happen on a regular base i still guess that it is probably condensation even if the thermostat seems to be fine.
    Does the oil smell strong of gas?
    Chris

Comment

no, there is no small of gas in the oil... . I'd love to believe that is was condensation, but it seems to happen quickly, not gradually. I would assume that condensation would happen gradually... ?

Good idea to check the dipstick seal - will do that... The oil seems to come from the base of the engine, run under the cowling a bit - depending on how tilted the engine is....

thanks again

Comment

I am assuming the port side of the engine ?
        Did you consider the oil filter? There have been some posts where folks have tried cheaper oil filters from auto parts stores that are not sealing correctly that cause leaking oil
        The sudden water in your oil kind of sounds like a head gasket failure
        Art

Comment

compression is solid across all

thanks though

Comment

Compression has nothing to do with it. It could be leaking at a water passage and getting in crankcase. On a car engine you could pressurize the water system and pull the pan to look for seepage. Not sure on one of these, but Im sure one of these experienced gents on here have a way. Good Luck.

Comment

I've run it for weeks without water in the oil, then suddenly the oil is milky...
              Does it happen always/once and you did not used it after or just sometimes yes, sometimes no?

Chris

Comment

sometimes yes, sometimes no - for example, I ran it for two weeks during holidays, about once every two days, checking the oil afterwards. At first, I though that the problem has disappeared as things seemed fine. THen one day I checked it and the oil was milky - not crazy, but obviously had water in it. the leak at tilt up happens every time I lift leg after running it. IT is my assumption that these problems are related. FOlks I have talked with, including the mechanic who currently has it say its one of three things - base gasket, main seal, or corrosion - when he pulled the power head off, there was no corrosion, the main seal looks good and the base gasket did not have any obvious problem, so its hard to say what is causing either problem, or if they are related.

FWIW, the engines flawlessly -

I appreciate the input.

Comment

Working...
                X