Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF 70 Not starting

Good day,

Our aluminium workboat has this engine and currently won't start.

Checked; fuel filters cleaned, spark plugs & that spark is there, fuel is getting to common rail, air side looks okay, engine is turning over fast enough.
    There are no self diagnostic lights flashing.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Ron

Ron Welcome to the forum
    I am not real up on your model as I run a DF175
    But have been thinking about your situation
    What exactly was the situation when you found it would not start?
    Is your work boat used regularly and one day it wouldn't start?
    Here is where I would start plugs which you did and sounds like you confirmed good spark
    Then fuel-- fresh or old?
    Cleaned both fuel filters? Maybe 3 - if you have a good water/fuel filter off the fuel tank. Don't forget the filter in the high pressure fuel pump
    The only thing left is the fuel injectors
    I don't know if that part of the system is fused - so the check all the fuse block or your look in manual to see if the circuit
    Art

Comment

Hi, thanks for reply.

It isn't used very often and sits on the deck for long periods. I will refresh the fuel. It hasn't been covered up too well either from elements.
      Put new plugs in although the condition was good of ones that came out, checked spark also, removed one and turned it over, fuel getting to cylinders, all fuel filters have been cleaned/checked.
      All engine sensors have been checked as per the manual, I found some corroded connectors in a connection from control handle as the rainwater had been running onto 2 connection blocks covered by tape, this has been corrected and routed out of weather. I did wonder about taking injectors out, holding into a bucket and turning engine over .
      All fuses are good, I do have a spare ECU so may try that next.
      Best regards, Ron

Comment

When you say it doesn't start, does it not even try? Doesn't cough, sputter, kick just a little? If you have fire (spark), air, and fuel, it ought to at least try to kick over a bit. Might not run, might not even really start, but if it just quietly spins, you might not be getting one of the three neccesary components for combustion. And no fuel would be the most likely culprit, if indeed you have spark. If you pull the plugs after cranking, see if they are wet or smell like raw fuel. If dry, then that, too, would indicate that you're getting no fuel.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Hi,
          I get a momentary fire when first turning the engine like its going to run. This happens only sometimes after it hasn't been tried for a while.
          Fuel is getting to the cylinders but perhaps not enough, I have also bled off at the common rail banjo bolt.
          Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X