Network Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Issues

Been snooping around trying to solve this issue, frustrated to the point that I'll post a topic hoping to get it solved.

Last year I bought a new 2019 Crownine 205XS with a 150HP Suzuki. There is a LMF-200 gauge and a Raymarine (maybe A67) unit installed. The LMF200 gauge has never done anything but blink, all last year, nothing but blink. I checked obvious stuff, fuses and whatnot, to no avail. The Raymarine has no engine data displayed on it either.

Digging a little deeper today, I finally got the LMF200 to show the Suzuki startup screen and I can go thru the menus. It shows No Devices on the BUS. The Network T's look like RESISTOR-T-T-T-RESISTOR with 12VDC, LMF-200, Suzuki Engine Interface Cable hooked to the top of the Ts.

Really just noticed that it doesn't seem the Raymarine is connected to the NEMA at all.

With the network as it is, if no cables are damaged or anything, I should be getting engine data on the LMF200 correct? Is there some sort of setup I need to complete on the LMF200 to get it to read from the Network properly?

I know I should take this to the dealer for repair, but it's a 3hr drive to the dealer and that gets to be a lot of time driving back and forth.

I appreciate any help on this.

You dont mention whether the boat has other gauges in addition to the LMF? If so what are they? Analogue? Do they work? This info has a bearing on finding out why the gauge may not work so please respond.

Also, most dealers will no longer install those old SMIS gauges, either the 4” or 2” versions with new engines. They havent had software updates for those gauges for at least 6 or 8 years and they can be real problematic with newer engines. I personally wouldnt use them.

Comment

Analog tach, fuel and battery all work great

Comment

Ok.

In that case, the Suzuki interface cable will plug into a network T (to the vertical leg part of the T) and the other end connects to a adapter cable that has to run all the way to the engine and be connected to the SDS plug (this is the diagnostic plug that the technician connects their laptop to when servicing the engine.)

So I would trace that interface cable from its connection to the T and see where they have it plugged in. They may have tried to connect it to a gauge harness behind the dash and that will NOT work. And I would also check the SDS plug on the engine to see if something is connected to it. That plug usually sits in a small rubber holder near the engines ecu.

Ive explained this many times but will do so again for you - the engine’s ecu has 2 data output plugs. One is for analogue gauges and by default, this is the plug that the factory connects to the engine harness at the factory. It sends data up thru the harness to the controls and dash and the analogue gauges are then plugged into the harness.

The second ecu plug is the SDS plug as mentioned earlier. This is the one that sends out digital data that can be used by gauges such as the SMIS (LMF) gauges, C-10 and multifunction displays eg your sonar/gps screens. If you only have digital gauges, the main harness at the ecu is unplugged from the analogue plug and connected to the SDS plug instead. So digital data then goes up thru the harness t9 the dash, and the interface cable is connected to the gauge harness where analogue gauges would normally be connected.

So in order to have analogue gauges working, plus get digital data up to the dash, you need to leave the main harness connected to the analogue ecu plug, and then use the SIMS TO SDS adapter cable to connect it to the SDS plug and the other end to the Interface cable. This is the adapter cable required for mechanical control engines:
        https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...S-38p63581.htm

This cable is about 4ft long or so. So it plugs into the SDS plug, and then is run thru the engine rigging grommet (with all the control cables, fuel lines etc) and through the rigging tube and back into the boat. The problem with this short cable is that this means that the interface cable and its T piece then are located down inside the transom area where its damp and dirty - and thus exposes those items to poor conditions that contribute to eventual failures. Here in Australia Suzuki supply 20ft long SDS adapter cables that are long enough to run all the way to the dash which means the interface cable and its T live up there where its cool, dry and clean. So I always recommend that you cut the adapter cable in half and solder in an extra length so its long enough to do that.

Anyway, once the physical install is done, you then need to configure the network. It usually automatically prompts you to do this the first time its turned on, but if not, First you need to do the Vessel/boat setup and set that as 1 engine and 1 tank or whatever you have. Set the tank capacity there too. Then Open the SMIS gauge menu, find the network device list, select the Suzuki device and then select configure. Set the engine location as centre for single engines. Dint try to set engine year or hp as it detects them automatically. That is it, done.

Hope this info helps. You should be able to figure out what they have done wrong.

Comment

So without anything connected to this plug there is no way for both analog and digital gauges to work correct?

I'm really just curious now what the Suzuki Engine Interface cable is hooked to. The two plugs are connected to "something" under the dash, I'll dive into this more tomorrow. I'm just afraid I'm too fat to really do much tracing

I really appreciate the help.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ceaves; 06-01-2020, 10:46 PM.

Comment

EDIT......... Read your sticky, really appreciate all the information.

From what I've read one of the connectors for the Engine Interface Cable is for Trim?? When I run a new cable to the engine, where does that connector need to plug in to?
            Last edited by ceaves; 06-02-2020, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Read your entire sticky, seen the answer to my question. Thanks again, seems the dealer just started pluggin in stuff that fit and called it macaroni.

Comment

Originally posted by ceaves View Post
                So without anything connected to this plug there is no way for both analog and digital gauges to work correct?

I'm really just curious now what the Suzuki Engine Interface cable is hooked to. The two plugs are connected to "something" under the dash, I'll dive into this more tomorrow. I'm just afraid I'm too fat to really do much tracing

I really appreciate the help.
                Correct. That is the SDS plug.

The digital gauge CANNOT work (at the same time as analogue gauges) unless it is connected to that SDS plug, using the SIMS to SDS adapter cable that I linked you to in my earlier reply.

It sounds like some dumbass has just plugged the interface cable into a spare 4 pin gauge connector behind the dash. It will never work like that!

Re the 2 pin trim connector on the interface cable, most times its not needed but if trim doesnt work, then it can simply be connected to the trim gauge connector behind the dash. But you cant run an anaolgue trim gauge plus have it on NMEA2000 gauge at the same time.

You paid the boat dealer to set this up properly. Send it back to them and tell them to fix it.

If they dont know how, you can refer them to my earlier reply post #4 to you, or refer them direct to me and let them know that I charge professional shops US$100 paid up front in advance to sort this stuff out.

BTW Once this is sorted, if you want to add the Raymarine to the network and have engine data available for it to display, just add an extra T piece between two existing T’s and run a NMEA2000 drop cable from the new T to the NMEA2000 plug on the Raymarine. This assumes of course that the Ray has engine data display capability - your Ray owners manual will tell you that.

Comment

Thanks again for all you do on these boards.

If it wasn't such a drive I'd let the shop dick with it, plus I like to have some knowledge on what's going on with my stuff, I'd rather just do the work myself.

Again, I appreciate the replies, I'm going to get this sorted out.

Comment

Hi guys. I have a 2008 DF140. Last winter I installed a NMEA 2000 network and connected a Suzuki Engine Interface to it. Its been working like a dream all summer but yesterday it suddenly stopped, meaning no values on my SIMRAD MFD. All analogue works fine, also the other NMEA2000 devices.. Is there a fuse that controls the signal output from the engine, have been checking all connectors..

Comment

With the engine key turned in, go into the Simrad menu.

Select System/network/devices.

Scroll down. Do you see the Suzuki engine listed there?

If not, it means that the interface is not communicating with the network, or, the network is not working.

There should be a duse in the network power cable. So check that.

Also check that the connection to the SDS plug on the engine is good. Look cor loose or broken wires in that connection.

If the Suzuki device is listed on the device list, run an auto select for data sources. This will reset data sources and the Simrad should then show all expected engine data. The auto select option will be in the Device list options or at the next level under Sources.

Comment

Working...
                      X