This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DF140A Lowrance HDS 7 NMEA Issues - Help

I will preface this thread by saying I have read extensively the available information on the WWW, and sought the assistance of Moonlighter (and Jon at BSM Cleveland - who recently installed the motor and network).
    I have also now sent an email to Lowrance, but given my experience with them in the recent weeks I am not hopeful of a knowledgeable response.

Details
    MY 2013 DF140A
    SIC software 2.9.0 (have tried v2.5 and v3.5)
    HDS 7 Gen 2 Touch with v6.0 software (latest version)
    Hard resets x 2 Soft resets x 4
    1 engine and 1 fuel tank
    Hair left - nil

When the network is powered it up and when accessing Network / Devices / Suzuki 140 (center) / Data. I can see several data parameters that the engine will communicate to the HDS. I seem to have sorted most of my data woes therein. (Thanks Jon & ML)

BUT, I also get a pitot speed of 139kmh.
    The issue is I (a) dont have a pitot connected and (b) am sitting stationary in my driveway with my GPS showing SOG 0.1km
    My trip calculator is running wild but I have since discovered if I change the source of this info within the Vessel parameters I can cease the trip meter running wild, but it still reports my average and top speeds as 139kph.

My issue is I cannot get accurate trip data and I cannot find the source of the 139kmh that is being displayed. This is also wreaking havoc with my fuel averaging calcs.

When I start the engine and run up the revs the pitot data remains static at 137kph

Does anyone know where the source of the pitot info is coming from that the suzuki is reading and communicating?
    Jon (BSM) has advised the DF140 does not communicate speed data at all.
    My speed sensor tube is connected to an analogue speedo on my dash.

I have attached pics.
    Cheers
    Attached Files

First observation you have steady talked to the best - Moonlighter
    I have a HDS 9 I do not recall "pitot"
    The engines have a mechanical system of reading the water pressure exerted on the analog speedometer - that's it
    Don't understand all the hard resets you have preformed
    First make sure everything is communicating
    That requires having the interface cable using the correct software version
    Then don't mess with it again
    Your lowrance display should show basically on network the antenna transducer engine interface and VHF that are all connected to the NEMA 2000
    Set the each to correct values
    Remember in some cases there are a lot of check boxes on the HDS that are not used i.e. pitot - and should not be displayed (uncheck the box)

Fuel usage--Start out with a full fuel tank -then it may require a couple of recalibrations to get fuel consumption reading more accurate but it will happen

If you erased everything you should be starting with a new trail?
    Question--Do you or did you have the unit turned on while you are driving from home to a fishing location? If so your GPS is keeping track of all those miles
    This can distort readings
    The HDS is getting fuel used from the engine ECM while it is running
    The GPS is tracking speed and distance then will give you data points based on these readings
    Until you get the fuel usage calibrated (several trips 5 to 10 gallon refuels) these readings probably will not be very accurate
    When I started this process the first time the engine indicated I had used something like 42 gallons - I put in like 34 gallons - re calibrated - next time closer
    3rd or 4th time after a long tuna trip it told me I used 35.1 gallons and when I filled it back up the pump shut off at exactly 35.1 gallons
    Be patient
    Hopefully this will help with some of your concerns
    Art

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
      Don't understand all the hard resets you have preformed

Remember in some cases there are a lot of check boxes on the HDS that are not used i.e. pitot - and should not be displayed (uncheck the box)

If you erased everything you should be starting with a new trail?

Question--Do you or did you have the unit turned on while you are driving from home to a fishing location? If so your GPS is keeping track of all those miles

Art
      Thanks for the reply Art
      In response to your points raised.

Yes the resets where under instruction from Lowrance and ML and yes it did wipe all trail data - except when the unit was restarted and the network was powered up via the key the max and avg speed data in the trip calculator immediately showed 139kph and when I looked at the engine data on the network it showed pitot speed 139kph

In the supplied picture in the OP you can see the check box is unchecked - but the speed noted at the bottom is displaying 139kph - what's the source of that figure? Can anyone tell me? Hello Lowrance?

Did I have the HDS on whilst driving to and from the marina - No.

Its worth noting that the pitot speed did not alter whilst the engine was stationary and off or turned an and doing 750rpm or indeed higher revs (whilst stationary) as shown in the original pictures supplied.

I am confident speed data is not being communicated by the engine - but the engine is communicating something the HDS display is interpreting and showing as pitot speed

Is there any forum user who has a properly set up 2013 DF140a using HDS 7 Touch or Gen 3 that can check their data screen in their working network and post an image up of what data is being communicated on their screen for a direct comparison. Image as per my second pic on the OP (image 20161119_113158 (Medium).jpg)

Cheers

Comment

Go to the data source menu, find your pitot data source, and remove it. The things you are fretting over have nothing to do with the Suzuki, so if you have any further problems, you might want to check out a Lowrance forum for answers.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks Mike
          The image in the OP does show the box is unchecked. So I can limit how the data interferes with my trip calculator to some extent. You might not have had a look at those images in the OP.

But please recall - the HDS is merely a display for the data coming FROM the engine. Therefore seeking responses on a Suzuki forum would be acceptable would it not given the engine is a Suzuki.

However I concede given the data is staying static it may be an issue with the HDS software or the Suzuki interface kit / network.

My nif files are being sent to Lowrance for review.

Cheers

Comment

You're not paying much attention. Your problems are NOT Suzuki related. Try somewhere else for an answer. You also haven't done what I told you to do. Merely unchecking a box obviously doesn't work. I DID see your pictures. You don't understand what you're looking at. Your display shows a lot more than your Suzuki outputs as data. Just because a box is there doesn't mean you're getting any information in that box from your motor.
            Read your manual!
            Last edited by Harper; 11-21-2016, 12:33 AM.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
            X