NEMA 2000 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEMA 2000 help

I'm trying to connect my new DF300 Multi Function Gauge to my older Lowrance HDS10.

When the engine was installed the dealer did not connect the gauge to the GPS.
    While having them do the oil change i asked for them to hook it up so the gauge can read speed and the HDS can display the info on its gauge screen.
    I thought all that would be needed was the connecting cable.

The dealer installed an additional gps receiver (puck) to make this work.
    Is this necessary?
    Shouldn't the gauge get the gps info from the HDS?
    And now the HDS is acting a little odd, as the chart seems to be loading slowly. Could it be due to 2 gps antenna are connected to it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The only reason to install a separate puck is if the HDS does not get a good GPS signal itself - and assuming that it has been on your boat for some time and was working fine, that would seem to be extremely unlikely. Impossible, really.

The network will receive GPS data from any MFD such as your HDS - I have mine taking signals from HDS Gen3 and before that, a HDS gen1. I also have a Simrad GO7 on the dash that it can also take signals from if the HDS is off.

Once the HDS is connected to the network, you just need to update network data sources so the other devices welcome their new friend on board. Easy. Menu/settings/network/data sources then select the option to auto detect data sources. Make sure the engine key is turned on (engine doesnt need to be running) and that any other networked devices are turned on first. Then do the auto detect.

I would be having harsh words with that dealer and be looking for compensation for the unnecessary parts and work. All that was needed was an extra T inserted into the backbone, and a drop cable from the HDS to that T. It is at worst, a 5 minute job. Parts maybe $40.

Re the HDS now being slow to start, I dont think it should affect the chart loading, but an easy way to check is simply to unplug the NMEA2000 cable from the back of the HDS and restart it and see what happens. Also it doesnt hurt to take the chart card out, and carefully clean the card contacts. Another option would be to unplug the puck antenna from its T piece and then test the HDS again.

From memory, I think there is a setting in the HDS for GPS data, when there are other sources it should be set as Global which means it will take the best available GPS signal.

If that makes no difference, I would get a blank SD card (MUST BE NO LARGER THAN 32gb capacity) and do a backup of all waypoints and settings on the HDS to the card. And then, do a Hard Reset on the HDS. A hard reset reboots the HDS unit’s software and clears out cache, and can help improve performance.

To do a hard reset, start with the unit off. Press and hold down the Zin and Zout buttons and push the power key. Keep holding down the Zin and Zout buttons until the unit boots up. This reset WILL erase all waypoints and trails you have saved! Thats why its critical to do the backup first.

If you have numerous old tracks saved, clearing any that are not important can also free up memory and improve HDS performance too.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-17-2020, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Wish I did this research first instead of relying on the dealer.
      He made it right... gave me a refund for the job and will remove next time I'm there. I thought that was fair.

Is it certain that there already is a backbone in the boat?
      If so, I can get the parts and insert easy enough.

Thanks again.

Comment

If you have a digital gauge (such as the SMIS or C-10) the only way that they can work is when they are connected to a NMEA2000 network. And thats the only way the engine data can get onto the digital gauges.

Get the dealer to do the connection when they remove the puck. They will have to get at the network backbone anyway and after messing you around the least they can do is connect the HDS. They will have added a T piece to connect the puck to, all that is needed is a network drop cable from there to the HDS.

Pucks usually come with a very short cable, they may or may not have needed to add a extension cable from there to the network T.

If you want to make the change in the meantime, you would just need a drop cable, so check to see if they used one for the puck and if its long enough to go from the T to the HDS. Use that one. If not just measure the distance from the HDS to the backbone and order a suitable length cable. Unplug the puck from its T and plug the drop cable to the HDS into the same T.
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-17-2020, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Again. Thanks so much.
          I'll double check to see what's going on behind the dash/console.

Comment

Working...
          X