Does anyone know the cure?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know the cure?!?

I have had quite the time with my 25 V-twin as well. The motor is on a wooden skiff that weighs about 400 pounds plus my weight of nearly 200 pounds plus tank and gear. It will start up and purrr, but when I open up the throttle to 3/4 throttle it will go into safe mode, and the light will come on, but once I idle down and shut the motor off, then crank it up again the light will go off. What could be my issue? At first I thought the motor was over revving, but after changing the prop twice (from the factory 10 pitch, to a 13 pitch, then to a 15 pitch prop) I'm still having the issue. The motor seems to run for nearly a minute now at wot (32mph), and be doing just fine, but suddenly it will go into safe mode. I have no tach beings it's a tiller but I do have a speedo on my phone just to see how fast I'm running. Yesterday while running it, the motor was running wot for at least a minute and then went into safe mode when I went into a turn, and the motor has also gone into safe mode at 2/3 throttle without me turning. The turn was not sharp by any means, but it may have caused the oil to slosh to one side and cause the oil level indicator to trigger? I've checked the oil and the dipstick is midway between the full line and low oil line, and to my knowledge that's where it needs to be? Would adding a little more oil possibly help me? The motor is also peeing very strong, and does not seem to be overheating at all. The motor has minimal hours on it.

How do you know it's going into safe mode? Does it just slow down? It takes about 30-60 sec for my 25 HP motor to use the fuel in the line. I had a situation where I had replaced the primer bulb in the fuel line (because one of the valves had failed in the old (one year old) bulb. When I installed the new bulb, I installed it backwards, and afterwards the boat would start out and run fine for about 45-60 sec, then would slow to idle speed. Apparently enough fuel would leak through the bulb valves to allow my DF25A to idle, but not to support any higher RPM. Eventually I reversed the bulb and everything ran fine afterwards.

Comment

I know it is going into safe mode due to the light coming on, and the motor will drop rpms on its own. It seems to be a very common issue with these motors, but there seems to be no exact fix. I can run all day long at half throttle, but I want to open it up and go!

Comment

What year and model?

Comment

The motor is a 2012 25 horsepower vtwin. I've always owned the more simple 2 strokes, and this one has me thrown for a loop. I've contacted the dealer and they confirmed that this model does not have the computer hook up option, so it sounds like My mechanic and I will have to trouble shoot until we solve the issue. Any and all help is very appreciated guys!

Comment

Working...
          X