Lower Unit plug ... dang...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Unit plug ... dang...

for the 2nd time the lower unit plug on my Zuke 300 is wrecked. So what do you
    zuke Pros use to loosen these ridiculous slot-head plugs? I tried a BAS (Big Ass Screwdriver) and am about to use an impact hammer but worry about cracking the housing.

Would not an allen head plug be a better option?

Also do ya'll put any kind of grease or never-seize on these plugs?

Use an impact screwdriver would be my suggestion. Purchase a new plug and use a dab of anti-sieze on the threads for easier removal next time.

Comment

I have several Suzuki outboards and i never found a lower plug stuck and i never used and grease or no-size compound.
      You may investigate why you had twice a frozen plug and solve the problem.
      Please use a torque wrench to make sure that the plug is installed at the right torque and not overtighted.
      Another problem may be stray currents welding the plug to the lower unit.
      Chris

Comment

I had my plug freeze up on me this year for the first time in the 9 years I have had the engine..
        impact driver with as large a bit as you can find, my mechanic told me.
        you will probably finish destroying the screw as I did.. so have a new one with new washer available to replace it..
        I usually check my fluid level a couple of times a year.. who know why it chose to freeze up this last time..

Art..

Comment

Does anyone know the right Torque spec that they could share?

Comment

I use the big screwdriver that has a squared shaft- not rounded. I than put a wrench on the shaft of the screwdriver.

Comment

Remove "frozen" plug

I just had a frozen plug. Started with a large screwdriver. Slight damage to slot.
              Went to a power screwdriver with large bit. More damage.
              Went to an impact driver (large bit would not fit). Total damage.

Drilled out the center about 3 mm and used a bolt remover bit. (This is a reverse screw tapered bit available for just this purpose. I got a good bite on the bolt (plug) but still wouldn't turn out.
              Hit it with WD 40 (10 minutes). Tried again and with the removal bit and power screwdriver.
              Out it came.

My last resort would have been to heat it with a propane torch. That would undoubtedly damaged the paint.

Replacement plug and gasket $10 delivered.
              Last edited by Photogimp; 11-07-2017, 01:00 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

until a few years ago suzuki made the plugs out of brass and they have the tendency to stick . now they make them out of a kind of steel and that is much better.
                the old part number is 55128-93J00 and the new part number is 55128-93J10

so order new one's and your problem is solved. (talking out of experience)

Comment

Take a small cold chisel and hammer to tap the outer edge of the screw slot. Work both sides. This will often work with minimal damage to the screw.

Comment

Originally posted by wilbur1 View Post
                    Does anyone know the right Torque spec that they could share?
                    The book looks to say the torque value is 7.2 lb. ft. or 86.4 lb. in.

Use anti-seize. And you can also order an APEX Hi-Torque #3 bit which fits pretty nicely in the plugs. Just grind it a little flat on the end because its a curved bit. Otherwise known as coin slot bit. They are aviation bits but are really beefy and thick slotted to fit tightly.

I just had one that was extremely damaged and instead of using the slot that is already in the plug, I took a medium sized flat blade screwdriver and hammered my own slot into the brass perpendicular to the original slot. Then took a big flat blade screwdriver and hammered it into the slot I had made with the medium sized screwdriver and voila, new slot, perfect fit. The original plugs are brass and easy to beat the screwdriver into. You wont hurt anything. And the hammering helps to loosen any corrosion.

Trevor
                    Last edited by FourHeyDay; 01-01-2018, 07:19 PM. Reason: Added detail to bit size and alternative method to extract immediately

Comment

Working...
                    X