Smis lost all data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smis lost all data

Hello and thank you for your help in advance.

I have a new to me 2015 df 175 hooked to a Smis 4" running 2.5.0 and then engine interface 990c0-88134. All worked fine until at 1500 rpms we got all alarms at once... low voltage, over rev, overheat. I turned it all off, and back on. No more engine data. I tested all connections and seem fine. Voltage on network is good. The smis gauge still recognizes the engine interface, if I unplug it from.network it disappears from the bus. As i was testing plugs and connections I could here a " nervous clicking " from the engine. If I unplug the engine interface the clicking goes away. Anyone have any ideas how to get my engine data back? Is my gauge broken or the interface?

If I buy a new interface with version 3.5, will that work with my smis gauge running 2.5.0. My suzuki dealer here is very very expensive... so taking it there is a last resort.

Hope yall can point me in the right direction,

thanks

It sounds like the interface cable. The clicking noise and the sudden multiple fault codes you reported do not sound good to me. At all.

The interface cable may have failed, although the fact it is still recognised on the bus suggests it may possibly still have life in it...

Hard to say one way or another for sure.

But without having any other display on the network (you didnt mention) then the SMIS doesnt help us do further investigation or diagnosis. If you had a Simrad or Lowrance display attached to the network (no other brands can do this) we could look more closely.

Some things to check before you throw it out:

- the harness connection to the SDS plug in the engine. Just make sure the connections are good and no wires are loose in the plugs, and that the pins inside the plugs are straight and clear of corrosion. You want to check this anyway because if there are problems in that plug, then adding a new cable wont solve the problem. FYI the interface cable is powered via its connection to the engine harness.

- You should also check the interface cable where it plugs into the harness behind the dash. Undo and inspect those plugs as well.

- Lastly, undo the interface cable from its T piece and check that the connection is clean of corrosion, you could even try swapping it to a different T in case the T is the problem (they sometimes fail, rare but it does happen)

Interface cable Version 3.5.4 (the current version) will work fine with a 2015 engine. But more than likely, the SMIS gauge will not. I recently spent a lot of effort helping another person in the same situation and there was nothing we could do to get a V3.5 cable playing nicely with a SMIS gauge, it caused all sorts of data and engine running problems. As soon as he replaced the SMIS with a C-10 gauge (fits in the same hole) all the problems disappeared. Just bear that in mind if you get the new cable.

Comment

Moonlighted, thank you for the reply. We did check wires.coming from then engine. Aka the big grey plug that runs the main engine harness and they were all.fine (20 plus wires there). is there another plug I should be checking under the cowl. I can not find another plug that actually goes toward the helmet. Sds ....i have tried to find pictures but am. Not sure what I am looking at. I have access to a garmin display which a friend is bringing over tonight to see if there is anything coming from the interface.

All plugs there, from.harness and interface are clean.amd tight. The black nmea connectors seem.ok as well and I plugged them into different places as well just to make sure.

Comment

The SDS plug is the small square plug with 4 wires. There will be a small rubber holder close by that it sits in when not connected.

Comment

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, I changed out the interface and gauge and Houston we have lift off. Went out on boat briefly today. The only thing that seems strange is that then c10 keeps in popping up with a changing trim angle without the trim being used ..

Comment

Working...
          X