Suzuki Multi function Gauge SMG4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki Multi function Gauge SMG4

HI I have a SMG 4 gauge for my 225 suzuki rigged to a lowrance Elite ti2 7 with nmea 2000. The lowrance displays the suzuki info such as rpm fuel volts etc and is also lists the suzuki gauge on the device list. The suzuki guage shows the lowrance on the device list gps, navigator etc and also displays the lat and long which are correct. However the suzuki gauge does not display the speed. it shows zero and water above. (the lowrance speed is shown as SOG)
    1. how can i set the suzuki gauge to read ground speed since i am not using a wheel sensor or similar and could not find anything in the manual. 2. is there a setting in the lowrance that need to be done. I have tried and checked various setting on the network option but still did not succeed to get it working. any ideas pls.

2. Is it normal that when tilting the outboard their is a slight ( 1 sec) hiss sort of sound as if their is air in the system. The engine is new and i used it twice about 2 hrs in all
    regards
    Ian
    Last edited by Atom2000; 06-23-2020, 03:41 PM.

In the SMG4 settings there is a setting for speed and you have to turn it OFF, this sounds wrong but I believe the default setting is looking for water speed and has to be turned off to enable the system to use GPS instead.

Re the hiss noise its hard to say. Can you take a video and save it to utube and post a link?

Comment

Hi Moonlighter thanks for your advice...never ever has this crossed my mind to switch it off, as you stated it sounds wrong. I will try it out this Saturday first thing since it drove me crazy setting this and that :-). and will revert. We regards to the noise i will take a video. Had an etec for ten years and was very happy with it . when new it did that sound ( as if drawing in air )but for quite a few seconds even when moving during tilt and turned out to be a defective trim unit which was replaced under warranty...the only issue in 10 years.

Comment

Yes it had us flummoxed for a while, but I got the answer from Outboard specialties and as soon as the speed source is turned off, bingo, GPS data is being received and working as expected.

Comment

Hi Moonlighter, problem solved many thanks . You are King ,the suzuki gauge is now reading the sog. The hiss sound seems more a change of noise from the rams movement to the tilt movement. will monitor and see.

many thanks once again.

Comment

Mr Moonlighter help i redone my boat and got rid of analog decided to go with a SMG4 gauge. I hooked op every thing like i was told. i am getting a Check Gauge C on start up and nothing on lowrance except tilt/trim and fuel is reading my fuel tank. my question is they took off a 2005 DF140 and replaced with a 2020 DF 175 but they used the same harness. i have a connector left with PINK/GREY/OARANGE/BLACK. Installed the suzuki back bone kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Buch0888 View Post
              Mr Moonlighter help i redone my boat and got rid of analog decided to go with a SMG4 gauge. I hooked op every thing like i was told. i am getting a Check Gauge C on start up and nothing on lowrance except tilt/trim and fuel is reading my fuel tank. my question is they took off a 2005 DF140 and replaced with a 2020 DF 175 but they used the same harness. i have a connector left with PINK/GREY/OARANGE/BLACK. Installed the suzuki back bone kit.
              Have you changed the harness connector at the engine over to the SDS connector?

Comment

That code means that the gauge is not communicating with the engine.

So the possibilities are

1. as above, you havent got the engine harness xonnected to the correct plug on the engine. It has to be disconnected from the standard ecu plug and connected to the SDS plug.
                2. you may have plugged the gauge harness into the wrong engine harness plug behind the dash
                3. the old harness may not be suitable or may have corrosion preventing engine data getting thru.

You will have to test those things yourself to try to resolve the issue. I cant help further with the harness wire issue, they changed colours for some stuff years ago when the A series engines were released so I have n9 idea how the old 2005 cable colours translate to the current cables.

Comment

Yes sir I did switch the connector and still had a check C I actually followed your direction on one of your posts. So my plugs on harness were unusable and I cut the connectors out and splices the wires. yellow and grey togther and wht/yellow and black to match and the fuel to pink and blue wire

Comment

It would have been a far better idea to install a new harness when the new engine went on. Harnesses do decay over time, water gets into joins and olugs get corroded, wires get corroded.

I would never have contemplated using the old harness with that new engine.

Comment

Hey so can i ask if you have the wire diagram for that 2005 harness. so I can least see what is the singal wire

Comment

Sorry I forgot you said earlier you have no idea about that harness

Comment

[QUOTE=Moonlighter;n59143]It would have been a far better idea to install a new harness when
                          Sir do i need this harness to complete this task that has taken me forever? Screenshot 2021-03-30 202049.png

Comment

[QUOTE=Buch0888;n59274]
                            Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
                            It would have been a far better idea to install a new harness when
                            Sir do i need this harness to complete this task that has taken me forever? Screenshot 2021-03-30 202049.png
                            Suggest you talk to the dealer who installed the engine about getting the correct harness.

I was referring to the wiring that connects the engine to the throttle box and then onto the dash for gauges. I have assumed that this was the old harness that was reused.

Cant help beyond that.

Comment

Ok Good buddy i did your suggestion and replaced the main harness and everything is new now the only connector i have have NO spot for off of the smg4 harness is a connector wirh a black, Yellow and Grey wire in it? I hooked the white/yellow and black together and the fuel wires but I am struggling>

Comment

Working...
                              X