NEW DF250AP's die when hitting boat wake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW DF250AP's die when hitting boat wake

Brand new (15 hrs) twin DF250APs shut down whenever I hit a large wave or wake. Happened 10+ times tonight through rough waters. The installers and I tightened connections at the batteries today and removed some green corrosion from a cable. Batteries are brand new with motors.
    When it happens I get a "Engine trim change" show on the gauges. I've also noticed a "CAN bus voltage <9V" on the gauge occasionally.
    Possible scenarios:
    1) Seems the motors kick up 4 inches or so and get the "engine trim change", even though I didn't adjust the trim. So perhaps they are sensing an obstruction when hitting a wake, kick up and then shutdown?
    2) Or perhaps the motors kicking up is just due to drag. And hitting a wake causes some cable to loosen or short
    No problems first 12 hours, then replaced my boats switch panel, had 20 hr service done, and mechanic reconnected my trim tabs to the ignition switch.
    Thankfully they start back up just fine after the problem occurs.
    Help please! Planning a long trip in one week!

Diagnosed at the dock by shaking cable assemblies to narrow down the culprit. Turned out to be loose connection in a cheapo fuse holder on the red power wire to my fell marine safety cutoff switch.

Comment

Working...
    X