DF225 Engine Interface Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF225 Engine Interface Cable

Pretty sure this is the plug for the engine interface hookup on my 06 DF225. I have not bought the interface cable yet so I'm not familiar with the color coding or how many wires are used. I plan to use my existing analog gauge and run the digital thru my Garmin. On my 2018 DF140 only 3 wires are used with the interface cable. My DF225 plug has 5 wires. I was planning to make a jumper cable to route up to the console where I'll connect the interface as I did with my DF140. Was wondering if anyone could tell me how many wires and which colors are used? Thanks for the assist.
    Attached Files

The wiring arrangement to make the adapter cable for the round K8 plug is as follows.

Pre- 2008 engines with the round K8 SDS Plug

Engine wire >> to interface cable

Grey - red

Black/green - red and blue

Black - black

Orange/yellow - white

What version interface cable are you planning to run?

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter - you are a wealth of information and much appreciated by all of us newbes. Per your Sticky, I was going to look for the Interface programmed with V2.3. We have a couple of good Suzuki dealers here in Florida, International being one so I'm sure I can source one. Since I'm going to make my own patch cable, do I still need the "Reverse K8" adapter cable? - Or can I go straight from the engine port via patch cable to the interface? From your color cross reference above, looks like the yellow wire from the engine side is left out? Thanks again.

Comment

So I just got some bad news. The fella at International Marine sez the interface for my engine is no longer available anywhere in the world. Granted its only one vendor and late Saturday afternoon. I'll do some more searching Monday. If true, is there any other way to make this work given the year (2006) of my engine? Can you suggest any other dealers to check with? Can a used interface be re-programed for a new engine? Anyone have one laying around or suggest a source? Thanks

Comment

They are as rare as hen’s teeth.

There is one possibility - I had a member on another forum recently in the same situation as you.

Eventually he took a punt and got a new version 2.9.4 interface cable that are readily available. To his, and my, great surprise, he says it has worked fine, fuel data was good, other data stable.

Now, whether something has changed between version 2.9.0, which many tested and did not work, and 2.9.4, we cant find out for sure.

And, on the basis of just one report, i cannot recommend you buy 2.9.4 cable. For all I know, his ecu may have been replaced with a 2008/9 model, he didnt know the history of the engine as it was a new acquisition.

So there are still question marks in my mind. But also, there is hope that maybe 2.9.4 has been updated and may now work OK. with earlier engines.

So its up to you if you want to try that or not.

If you do, PLEASE report back and let us know if it is a success or not.
          Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-27-2020, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I've given up my search for a NOS/used interface cable. Was advised that year motor only reports the basics which are available via other ways at less costs. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by rcnight View Post
              I've given up my search for a NOS/used interface cable. Was advised that year motor only reports the basics which are available via other ways at less costs. Thanks for the help.
              The advice about the engine only reporting basic data is wrong. All engines report the following data:

RPM, alternator voltage, engine temperature, engine hours, trim, fuel flow rate, fuel used, seasonal fuel used, trip fuel used. Later FBW engines also report gear position.

Comment

UPDATE: DF225 Engine Interface. Got back on my interface project. Bought a used one #88134 thinking it was the right software version. Nothing. Bummer. So just for the fun of it I took the one hooked up to my 2018 DF140 (ver 3.5) and installed and it works - everything except the tilt indicator and the temp readout pegs at 250. Go figure? Any thoughts on why the temp readout is pegging and the older version software isn't working?

Comment

Originally posted by rcnight View Post
                  UPDATE: DF225 Engine Interface. Got back on my interface project. Bought a used one #88134 thinking it was the right software version. Nothing. Bummer. So just for the fun of it I took the one hooked up to my 2018 DF140 (ver 3.5) and installed and it works - everything except the tilt indicator and the temp readout pegs at 250. Go figure? Any thoughts on why the temp readout is pegging and the older version software isn't working?
                  Because its the wrong software version for that engine. That, plus on the older engines, the trim/tilt data comes via the separate 2 pin interface connector and then needs to be calibrated. And that cannot be done on the Garmin display.

Have you run the engine with that V3.5 interface connected? What was the fuel flow reading at idle?

The old cable you tried - did you check the software version via the Garmin? I think (maybe) you might be able to see it there. Without doing that it is a crapshhot as to what version someone may have installed. That, plus it likely needs to be configured for your engine before it will work. Which cant be done on a Garmin display, only Lowrance or Simrad displays or Suzuki digital gauges can do it.

Comment

Played around with my project today. Was able to calibrate (if this is the right word) the interface to the engine with my Garmin 74SV. Lost the Drive indicator that showed up on ver 3.5 and there is no Tilt indicator (missing the 2 wire connection). I’m getting a fuel burn reading at idle (900rpm)@ 1.5ga/hr. Will have to run it on open water to really test. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Oh - And I didn’t see anything that would indicate a software version. Suggestions on where to look welcomed.

Comment

1.5 gph is about 5 x what it should be!! The same % error will occur at all revs. Which will flow on to fuel used/fuel remaining data. And it is impossible to correct that error.

And that is typical of the problems experienced when you have the wrong software version interface for the engine. It is regularly accompanied by data instability and sometimes, false error codes.

Re the early model cable, I have no idea about Garmin displays, but if you can find some kind of network device list and open it, you may be able to see the Suzuki interface and find some info about it there. But really, it doesnt matter much I suppose because you cant do anything with the Garmin to configure the interface or update the software.
                        Last edited by Moonlighter; 05-07-2021, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Mr. Moonlighter: Comparing fuel numbers to my DF140, yes my fuel consumption at idle is WAY Off! I think the RPM's slightly off also. When you state I need a Lowrance or Simrad head to configure the interface, could you briefly describe how that procedure works? Does one simply just plug in the NMEA & power cords? Are male/female plugs on the heads somewhat universal or will I need to wire in a power cord?

Comment

The Suzuki interface cables are made by Navico (parent company of Simrad and Lowrance) which is why their machines or Suzuki gauges are needed to configure the network.

The easiest display to use to configure the network or upload software etc is a Suzuki C-10 gauge or a Simrad IS-35. They do not require a power cable as they get their operating power from their network connection, so it is simply a case of unplugging the Garmin display and plugging the gauge into the same T.

If using a Simrad or Lowrance display (eg a NSS or HDS) then you must first connect their own power cables to a power source then use a standard NMEA2000 drop cable to connect them to a network T.

Power cables are not compatible between Garmin and Simrad or Lowrance.

The network needs to be configured to tell it how many engines it is dealing with and where those engines are located (port, starboard or centre). When using version 2.3 software with earlier engines, you also heed to tell it what year the engine is and what hp. This is explained in the paper attached to the sticky thread on Suzuki networks at the top of this forum. Details on how to are there.

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter.

Comment

Working...
                              X