Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Break-In Procedure for DF30 - recommendation from Porta Bote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeopardy954
    replied
    I'm starting to think there is no trim sensor on the DF30? Looking through the parts diagram, there's nothing that looks like it would be a trim position sensor...

However, mysteriously, without me making any changes, I'm now getting voltage, fuel flow, and trip hours/total hours, so that's good!

Leave a comment:

• Moonlighter
    replied
    Dont know. Have to work it out, trial and error. Or talk to your local Suzuki dealer.

Leave a comment:

• jeopardy954
    replied
    Thanks moonlighter. So I’ve gotten the fuel flow, temp, and hours working, but still cant get the trim angle to indicate correctly. Should I be on ‘sender’ or ‘sensor?’

Leave a comment:

• Moonlighter
    replied
    Here is a link to an installation manual. Might help

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2fa08g7nw...glish.pdf?dl=0

Leave a comment:

• jeopardy954
    replied
    Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post

Doesnt sound right, I havent played around with the SMG4 as I dont have one myself. I would try other settings to see what that does re other engine data. You should be getting voltage, fuel flow, trim, fuel used, Etc.

Yes I think you would need to connect to a NMEA2000 network with a GPS source in order to get time and SOG, fuel economy. If you get really stuck let me know, I can ask one of my friends who have new engines with SMG what their settings are.
    Thanks, I'm sure it's something I don't have set up right with the 'initial settings.' There's 'motor station,' 'gauge station,' and a couple other things to set, and no guidance in the manual as to how to set it up. The manual isn't all that helpful either, it just says "dealer only" or something like that.

I'll try to play around with it a little more tomorrow when I'm back in the boat, as I'd really like to get that data going.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlighter
    replied
    Originally posted by jeopardy954 View Post
    Ya, that’s what I would assume...

moonlighter, since you’re here, I’m getting no info other than rpm and water temp on my smg4 - I have the engine position set to ‘sensor’ but am not getting any position indication on the gauge, any ideas? And can I set a clock manually or do I need a GPS to display the clock?
    Doesnt sound right, I havent played around with the SMG4 as I dont have one myself. I would try other settings to see what that does re other engine data. You should be getting voltage, fuel flow, trim, fuel used, Etc.

Yes I think you would need to connect to a NMEA2000 network with a GPS source in order to get time and SOG, fuel economy. If you get really stuck let me know, I can ask one of my friends who have new engines with SMG what their settings are.

Leave a comment:

• jeopardy954
    replied
    Ya, that’s what I would assume...

moonlighter, since you’re here, I’m getting no info other than rpm and water temp on my smg4 - I have the engine position set to ‘sensor’ but am not getting any position indication on the gauge, any ideas? And can I set a clock manually or do I need a GPS to display the clock?

Leave a comment:

• Moonlighter
    replied
    Porta bote recommendations are ridiculous and should be completely ignored. Just idiotic stuff.

The manual was written by Suzuki engineers. They know what the engines they designed need. I would follow their recommendations, not some bozo who thinks he knows better than the designers.

Leave a comment:

• jeopardy954
    replied
    So I just fired mine up yesterday. I ended up going with the manual recommendations, idled in neutral for about 5 min, then popped it into gear (largely because the ramp I used was in a high-current area, and I had to start maneuvering).

idled in gear in neutral for about 15 minutes, then started getting up to 3k, trying to keep the throttle varied.

I started worrying that I had done something wrong by loading it too soon, so I re-read the manual, and the language is pretty vague, they say ‘idle or lowest in-gear speed’ for ‘approximately 15 min.’ I still don’t get why Porta bote would have such a different recommendation than the manufacturer, but my brother owns 2 Suzuki’s he’s owned since new, and broke in per the manual, and neither has exploded yet....

Leave a comment:

• Mo Ford
    replied
    Got the Suzuki DF30A all rigged up and got through the 10 hour break-in. I started out with the Porta Bote recommendation of idling in a barrel for 4 hours, then just went with the instructions from the manual... 2 hours at less than 1/2 throttle, then an hour of 3/4 throttle, then varying the rpm but not full throttle for more than a few minutes for the remaining time. Took several break-in runs.
    The motor started right up first try, ran smooth and super quiet. I was impressed with all the bits included. Not thrilled with the lack of information in the owner's manual... like better info on rigging the control cables, or how to do general maintenance like oil change or fuel filter maintenance. I need to buy the workshop manual if one is available print.... all I can find is an online subscription option.

Mounted up to a 15 foot Gregor aluminum fishing boat top speed is 29-30 mph with me and the dog.... cruises easily at 26 mph at 3/4 throttle (I don't have a tach).... 20 mph at 1/2 throttle.
    Motor looks huge compared to the original 1978 Johnson 25hp, but only weighs 40 pounds more. Love the power tilt!

Leave a comment:

• jeopardy954
    replied
    I’m struggling through this as well, no instructions and a lot of wires haha. To make things more challenging, I sprung for the SMG4 gauge, which comes with an additional 2 wiring bundles, so I’ve got about 100ft of wire in my 13 whaler right now!

Leave a comment:

• Mo Ford
    replied
    My paperwork and manuals had no wiring instructions. Manual also does not clearly specify that you need to remove the starboard side-panel to connect the throttle & shift controls and run the wiring harness through the rubber grommet. I'm sure those extra wiring connections go to gages and accessories.... probably a service manual thing.

Leave a comment:

• oldaddy1961
    replied
    i got one of those. did yours have any info on what the other wiring harness wires are for/how they are colored coded? just connect to battery and it runs fine..plug and play.i'd like to get the gauges working though. thanks

Leave a comment:

• Mo Ford
    replied
    My DF30A remote was just delivered today (Monday, August 10th) from Porta Bote.
    Looking forward to installing it and doing the break-in.
    Will post updates if that is something of interest here.

Motor was on a pallet and packed well. No damage that I can see at this point. Delivery truck folks were cool - put it on my driveway for me.
    In the box with the motor is a plastic fuel tank, fuel hose with connectors, wiring harness, remote control assembly, steering link rod, mounting bolts and bits, and of course the manuals.
    I will have to source throttle/shift control cable and probably update my steering cable/helm (I have an old Mercury Ride-Guide that may not fit the current tube... we will see).

I am replacing a '78 Johnson 25hp 2 stroke on a 15' Gregor aluminum boat.

Mo

Leave a comment:

• jeopardy954
    replied
    Nope, I’m still waiting. I ordered end of June also, and got called last week as well.

I was told the motors are in the US, and they said they’d be shipping this week, still haven’t gotten a tracking number or serial number yet though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X