Clutch dog replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch dog replacement

I have a 2008 60 HP 4 stroke long shaft. It started kicking the other day. I drained the lower unit oil and found a few small metallic chunks. I am hoping it's just the clutch dog. I started working on it, but my question is, can I remove the drive shaft bearing housing and drive shaft straight out, or do I need to remove the whole lower unit? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I don't want to recommend buying parts at Browns Point Marine, however their parts catalog shows thumbnails of the engine parts diagram for your motor. The advantage is you can click the thumbnail and it will show you the diagram quickly and take the guess work out of where, what parts are incorporated into each section. The drive shaft is in the transmission section, however the drive shaft goes up through the Drive Shaft Housing, Oil Pan, and Engine Holder. I didn't see a seal. There is a seal somewhere in there.

I will say this though about this site. They have the best price and have excellent support. You will not beat this sites price's

Comment

I think I misunderstood your question about the drive shaft removal. The main point about the looking at the parts diagram will be helpful. It appears that the pinion has a bolt on the end that have gearsenclosed inside. you will have to pull the propeller shaft. You can use the parts diagram on this site, 08, 60 HP, transmission.

You will need a sleeve hammer type puller to get get out. Owwie

Comment

Here's a snip of diagram.
        Capture1.PNG
        Briscoe
        Last edited by briscoe; 07-04-2020, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks, that was the reason for my question actually. One guy told me you had to remove the lower unit, but I saw that the bearing housing on the shaft had 2 threaded holes and those are for a puller by the looks of it. I soaked it with penetrating oil and tried by hand, but no luck. That's when I wondered if I was doing it wrong by trying to pull the shaft out. But as you said, looks like I will need a puller.

Comment

I have attached a picture from my manual. It shows the tool they use, which attaches to the threads of prop shaft. Seems to me the nut could be used to attached some type of make shift hammer puller. See #12
            Just sayin..... Propellar_shaft_removal_tool.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X