Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New potential owner for a 2006 DF 70. What should I check for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New potential owner for a 2006 DF 70. What should I check for?

Hi Suzuki owners,
    I'm getting ready to purchase a boat with a 06 Suzuki df 70, 250 hrs. Here's what I've gleamed about this outboard.
    It is made from an automotive engine. And Suzuki put a steel O2 sensor plug in an aluminum block. It may rust and potentially ruin the motor? I should plan on replacing the steel plug with an aluminum plug.
    I'll go for a boat ride with the current owner. I would like to drain the gear oil oil, and engine oil to check for water. But I don't know if that is possible.
    Any recommendations or warnings about what I should check for on the pre-buy, would be awesome! And do you like this motor?
    Thanks!!

The question I might ask: is there a good marine servicing dealer close by, preferably one the services Suzuki engines?
    I would have it looked over by the experts
    250 hours is not a lot of hours
    And does the seller have service records? Or a log book with records?

I am not sure on your model if the ECM stores any engine fault codes
    If so, the dealer can plug a computer in and read a multitude of data on the history
    Art

Comment

The issue of the "steel plug where the O2 sensor was on the automotive version is not relevant or the DF70. It was relevant only for the DF90-140 series engines up until about 2008.

As Art said, have a competent Suzuki mechanic check it over and plug in their laptop to see what the engines history looks like. As well as the usual checks, check internal anodes.

Comment

Great suggestion to see if I can bring it by a dealer.

I thought the DF 70, 80 and 90 were all made from the same engine block (size). I wonder why the O2 sensor would not be an issue in the 70, but is a problem for the 90?

Thank you both!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1poway View Post
          Great suggestion to see if I can bring it by a dealer.

I thought the DF 70, 80 and 90 were all made from the same engine block (size). I wonder why the O2 sensor would not be an issue in the 70, but is a problem for the 90?

Thank you both!!
          The current DF70A, 80 and 90 are all the same block.

But, back in 2006, they were not! Back then, the DF90, 115 and 149 shared the same block, and the 70 shared the same block as the 60. The engine holdre plug corrosion was an issue in that era's 90/115/140 block.

So there's your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
            The current DF70A, 80 and 90 are all the same block.

But, back in 2006, they were not! Back then, the DF90, 115 and 149 shared the same block, and the 70 shared the same block as the 60. The engine holdre plug corrosion was an issue in that era's 90/115/140 block.

So there's your answer.

Thank you!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X