Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member - where does this nut go on my DT55?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member - where does this nut go on my DT55?

Hi, I'm a new member but I've been lurking for a couple years and learned a lot. I have a 1989 PU55 (jet version of the DT55). Yesterday I was reinstalling my jet drive after replacing the water pump and heard a light rattle under the cowl as I lifted it to horizontal. After I set it back vertical I looked under the cowl and found a small brass nut lying on the bottom beneath the carbs. It's about 5/16 inches outside diameter (flat to flat) and the inside is about 1/8 inch diameter. After searching around the engine for about 30 minutes I can't figure out where it's from. Any ideas?

Sounds like the nut that retains the throttle linkage to the shaft of one of the carbs, should have been held in place by a bent over washer. I have some spares for an 89, send me a PM if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by mphelle8vld View Post
      Sounds like the nut that retains the throttle linkage to the shaft of one of the carbs, should have been held in place by a bent over washer. I have some spares for an 89, send me a PM if interested.
      Good idea, but those 3 nuts are in place with their bent washers holding them. The nut I found is smaller than those.

Comment

Lock nut for the choke link rod? I sold my jet a couple years ago and have some electrical/carb spares for that powerhead. I'm in St Louis, where are you located?
        Last edited by mphelle8vld; 07-08-2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Lock nut for the choke link rod? I sold my jet a couple years ago and have some electrical/carb spares for that powerhead. I'm in St Louis, where are you located?
          The choke rod seems to be held on with a little washer and not be threaded for a nut. I happen to be in Manchester, MO.

Comment

Small world, after a few more posts you should be able to contact me via Private Message. I've attached a photo of the choke rod removed from the solenoid, the nut is visable in the center of the frame. dt55 choke linkage.jpg

Comment

Small world, after a few more posts you should be able to contact me via Private Message. I've attached a photo of the choke rod removed from the solenoid, the nut is visable in the center of the frame. dt55 choke linkage.jpg
              Another great idea. That nut looks like the one I found and my choke rod doesn't have a nut there, but I also don't see any threads on the rod at the end of the black thing, which is tight up against the plunger part.

Comment

That was it! I inherited the boat a couple years ago and I'd never taken that piece apart, so someone else must have done that previously and dropped the nut. I unscrewed the plunger, slipped on the nut, and reinstalled the plunger. Maybe my choke will be more responsive now. Many thanks for your help.

Comment

Good to hear, never a good feeling to have extra parts. Adjust that threaded rod so that the choke plates are fully closing when energized and then tighten that lock nut.

Comment

Good to hear, never a good feeling to have extra parts. Adjust that threaded rod so that the choke plates are fully closing when energized and then tighten that lock nut.
                    Will do. Stay safe - and cool.

Comment

Working...
                    X