Troll Mode Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troll Mode Switch

I have a troll mode switch on a 2015 Suzuki DF200A. When the switch is activated it will not lower idle speed of motor, only increase. Is there a problem with installation? Any help is much appreciated.

I have the same problem. From what Iwas told that is how it works.

Comment

I will assume that the troll mode works the same on larger hp motors as it does on the smaller ones.

I have troll mode on my DF40A tiller.

Firstly, troll mode will only activate when the engine is at idle speed with no throttle. It simply won't activate if youve already got the engine revved up to say 900rpm.

Once activated, it will increase revs in 50rpm increments up to (I forget which) 1200-1300rpm every time you hit the up button. Once above idle revs, it will decrease revs in 50rpm increments back to the preset idle speed every time the down button is hit.

Once you get back to idle speed if you hit down again it beeps, obviously to alert you to the fact that you've gone as low as possible. Equally once you get to max troll speed it beeps and won't go any further.

So, is that how yours is working, it is normal.

If that's not how yours works, perhaps you could explain as clearly as possible what it is doing that is different?

Comment

On mine at idle when you hit the switch it jumps to 1200 rpm and will go up from there.and come back down to 1200. It doesnt matter if it works or not. It is useless to me. I need to be 100 rpm below iidle to get the speed I need. Right now I use drift socks as I did on my other boat.

Comment

Originally posted by wilbur1 View Post
          On mine at idle when you hit the switch it jumps to 1200 rpm and will go up from there.and come back down to 1200. It doesnt matter if it works or not. It is useless to me. I need to be 100 rpm below iidle to get the speed I need. Right now I use drift socks as I did on my other boat.
          Then that is faulty. I would go back to the dealer and get it fixed.

However, there was never any suggestion I saw that the system would enable the set idle speed to be lowered. So regardless, you are not going to achieve that.

Comment

I think Wilbur is using a standard Tach without the Troll mode scale.

When in Troll mode, the ecm sends a different signal to the Tach for the secondary scale, which is larger for easier viewing. Around 700 Rpms, Troll mode is equal to 1200 Rpms standard Tach, so around 3000 Rpms regular Tach is around 1200 Rpms Troll mode scale.

Just recently, there is a youtube video of the Troll mode working with a standard Tach. I typed in Suzuki troll mode gauge in google, 5th one down for me.

Here's a picture of the troll mode gauge, and you can see the different scales.
            Unfortunately, Troll mode works from idle up, it will not go below idle.
            Attached Files
            Henry

Comment

Nanya, thanks for that, very useful information! I had a look at the video using The standard Tacho and as soon as troll mode is activated the revs don't change but the tach jumps up, so I'm sure you are right. And as soon as troll mode is deactivated by dropping out of gear, tach drops back to 700rpm without a concurrent drop in rpm.

It thus appears that Wilbur's TM is working fine, it's just showing 1200rpm on the tachometer although the actual rpm hasn't changed from the normal 700.

I can understand why troll mode doesn't allow idle speed to be reduced below the normal 700rpm - that's the lowest speed the engineers have determined that the engine will run satisfactorily. Again, I saw nothing in the troll mode info that ever suggested that lowering idle rpm below the normal level would even be possible, so it's quite unrealistic to expect that result.
              Last edited by Moonlighter; 01-07-2017, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys. Thats exactly what mine does and yes I have the standard tach. Thanks again. I will check out you tube

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
                  Nanya, thanks for that, very useful information! I had a look at the video using The standard Tacho and as soon as troll mode is activated the revs don't change but the tach jumps up, so I'm sure you are right. And as soon as troll mode is deactivated by dropping out of gear, tach drops back to 700rpm without a concurrent drop in rpm.

It thus appears that Wilbur's TM is working fine, it's just showing 1200rpm on the tachometer although the actual rpm hasn't changed from the normal 700.

I can understand why troll mode doesn't allow idle speed to be reduced below the normal 700rpm - that's the lowest speed the engineers have determined that the engine will run satisfactorily. Again, I saw nothing in the troll mode info that ever suggested that lowering idle rpm below the normal level would even be possible, so it's quite unrealistic to expect that result.
                  Glad I could contribute. I have received great information from you and others on here.
                  Henry

Comment

Once I activate troll mode switch you can not slow speed down, only increase. I had the understanding that you could slow your troll speed down. My motor has a high idle speed, much too fast to troll for most situations.

Comment

I do not know why you had that understanding. Nothing in the Suzuki documentation suggests that troll mode could slow the engine below the normal idle speed.

What revs does you engine normally idle at, in gear?

Should be about 650rpm.

Comment

Working...
                      X