Suzuki DF6-RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DF6-RPM

New DF6 last year that I use as a kicker and also on my 10' zodiac. From day 1 the DF6 felt like it wasn't able to obtain max RPM of 5700 or so. Always felt sluggish, so I replaced the prop with the medium sized 7.5" by 6.5" pitch. This was maybe a slight improvement. Today (finally) I put a tachometer on it. Alone in my zodiac (80lb boat with inflatable keel) and my 200lbs (dressed weight), could only get RMP to 2900. Idles great at 800-900.

Background:
    -Checked valve clearance, they are in spec.
    -Always use clean, filtered fuel.
    -Haven't tore into the carb yet, but I'm wondering what size the stock main jet is. I know they make three sizes.
    -No stumble when accelerating off of idle, starts fine, etc. Pilot jet should be clean, and doesn't affect WOT anyway.

Hard to imagine the smaller 6" pitch prop is going to miraculously give me 2500rpm that I'm failing to achieve.

Any insight? I have experience rebuilding carbureted single cylinder 4-stroke dirt bikes. No problems with carbs, etc. Kinda new to outboards, but I understand the workings of these simple single cylinder motors.

I'm not all the experienced with the smaller HP engines
    Do you have the service manual?
    The larger engines have a rev limiter that under certain circumstances will limit RPM's to about 3,000
    Almost sounds like that is what is happening to you but again will need to check a manual
    I don't believe, as you describe it, that it is a prop problem
    With the larger HP models if all you can get to is 5,000, it could be a prop issue to get engine up closer to 6,000 at WOT
    Art

Comment

Working...
    X