C10 not displaying starboard motor data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C10 not displaying starboard motor data

Hi, 2019 twin 115 with C10 gauges. Everything was working fine, start boat to come home and no engine data from starboard motor, just dashes. Did factory reset, checked all nema T connections, batteries are good. Both gauges turn on but neither one reads starboard motor. HELP
    Thanks

See the reply I just posted on this thread:

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...-failure-issue

Comment

Hi Moonlighter, thanks for the reply. I did the steps as outlined and still not reading engine data. Any other ideas?
      Thanks

Comment

Turn engine keys to on.

In the C-10 menu, open system/network/device list.

Both engines should be listed in the device list. Are they?

Comment

Thanks again Moonlighter for helping with this. Both engines are NOT listed only the port.
          On both gauges only the port data is shown, dashes for starboard
          I changed the config from port eng to starboard eng
          The port side just shows dashes and the starboard showed data (but it was exactly the same as prt engine, hours etc, so I suspect all that it did was take the port data and display it on the starboard side of gauge)
          I can not figure out how to have both engines show up at the same time. Any ideas?

Comment

OK I have 2 questions that are both intended to help narrow down the problem so please answer both.

1. On the device list, was there a line that showed a unknown device or that just had dashes?

2. open the starboard engine in the device list and select configure. What software version does it say its is running? I am interested in the numbers, if it says 2.9. Something or 3.5 something.

Last edited by Moonlighter; 07-22-2020, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Moonlighter
              1. No, only the port engine is on the device list. nothing with dashes
              2. Starboard engine is not listed, I checked the port engine tho and it has vers 3.5

Thanks

Comment

Following this closely, I was just about to post the same issue and my symptoms are identical. What i've done:

Gauges have worked fine for years, nothing new on the the network or boat. Ran out 3+ hours on an overnighter and everything was working great, woke up the next morning in dense fog. Fired up the engines and noticed the STBD engine was not displaying any data. Dashes for everything STBD and same on all 3 gauges. Fuel consumption was clearly only reporting on PORT engine. The STBD C10 does have a different tone on button push than PORT, hadn't noticed that before but I don't change that gauge much either.

What i've done:

Twin 2016 DF300AP's
                Ran the select sources in Network settings - no change
                Confirmed setup is 2 engines, set as port and STBD, and 2 tanks are setup
                Checked network device list and only the PORT engine interface appears (no dashes or unknown)
                Removed STBD engine network cable from the Suzuki backbone, and reconnected - no change
                Same on Garmin network device, no sign of STBD engine - Port reports fine
                Reset the gauge holding up/down arrows and re-did install - no change
                Poked around the engine plugs (not sure which one is SDS) and couldn't find anything amiss.
                My software version is 3.5.0

Comment

Bayhouse, yes sounds like we are in the same boat. I also checked around the engine, checked what I think was a 15 amp fuse for the ECM, but found nothing.

Hopefully Moonlighter will save the day!!

Comment

Ok I think I just replied to Bayhouse over on THT forum.

It is looking like that interface cable may have failed.

When a device isnt appearing in any way on the network, then it says the device is not communicating with the network.

And that prompts us to look at the physical connections next before we pull it out and replace it.

So check that its connection to the T in the backbone is good. While you are behind the dash, also check the interface connection to the engine harness - make sure the plug is connected firmly and that there are no loose wires in the plug - I would disconnect it, inspect, wriggle wires at the back of the plug to see if loose or broken.. then reconnect. Then I would go to the engine take the cowl off and do the same inspection of the SDS plug where it connects to the engine harness,

Once checked sll that, test for data and whether the engine appears on the device list one last time. If there is nothing there, I would pronounce the interface cable dead and replace it with a new V 3.5.4 cable. Remember to configure the new cable when its installed, set its location in the config screen, and then do a auto select for network data sources.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter!

I swapped T-connectors and played with the connections under the dash, no change. Checked the plugs under the cowl, no joy there either. I'm ordering a replacement interface cable today.

Comment

New interface cable today, it's marked 3.5.4 while my other interface cables are 3.5.0. I swapped the bad cable with the good one but no difference, still dashes on the C10's. Is there some sort of installation/reset that needs to be done? I forgot to check if the interface showed up on the network list, will check that again when i'm back at the boat.

Should I upgrade the other interface to 3.5.4?

Comment

Yes check the device list again. May need to refresh it.

This is like a computer network. You plug in a new printer, you have to set it up. Same here. The interface doesnt miraculously know which engine its connected to! And the gauge doesnt suddenly know that there is a new interface that it should get data from.

Open the device list. Find the new cable on the list. (If you cant figure out which one it is, unplug the other one that is working from the network, then you only have one on the list and you know it's the new one) Select configure. Set engine location as port or starboard using the dropdown menu. Give the engine a name in the space provided. Exit when done. Reconnect the other cable if you unplugged it.

Now Run the auto select for data sources again. Any time a new device is added to the network (or one is taken off) you need to do that.

That should have it working.

3.5.4 is the newest best software version available. You can upload it to the other cable. Its not essential and I would be tempted to leave it alone of its working OK. But lets get the new one working first before looking further at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
                            Yes check the device list again. May need to refresh it.

This is like a computer network. You plug in a new printer, you have to set it up. Same here. The interface doesnt miraculously know which engine its connected to! And the gauge doesnt suddenly know that there is a new interface that it should get data from.

Open the device list. Find the new cable on the list. (If you cant figure out which one it is, unplug the other one that is working from the network, then you only have one on the list and you know it's the new one) Select configure. Set engine location as port or starboard using the dropdown menu. Give the engine a name in the space provided. Exit when done. Reconnect the other cable if you unplugged it.

Now Run the auto select for data sources again. Any time a new device is added to the network (or one is taken off) you need to do that.

That should have it working.

3.5.4 is the newest best software version available. You can upload it to the other cable. Its not essential and I would be tempted to leave it alone of its working OK. But lets get the new one working first before looking further at that.
                            Yep, that was it - i found it on the network with a default to Port. Could tell which was which based on SW version, quick change and I have data again.

HOWEVER, since I had reset the gauge I wanted to change some of the data on a page. On the port side gauge, I press Menu -> Change Data but on the starboard side gauge, my only menu options are Add Fuel and Settings? Couldn't find anywhere in settings how to change the data on a page - any suggestions?
                            Last edited by Bayhouse2; 07-31-2020, 06:42 PM.

Comment

You can download the Simrad IS35 user manual from this link, c10 is the same as this gauge. It explains how to Do all this stuff in there.

It will depend on which page you are on whether it can be changed or not.

http://downloads.simrad-yachting.com/#000-13334-001

Comment

Working...
                              X