2006 DF175 Prop shaft bearing removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 DF175 Prop shaft bearing removal

There are 2 prop shaft bearings in the prop shaft bearing housing at the propeller end. Is there a special tool or technique needed to remove these 2 back to back bearings? Also how to install new ones.
    I look at them from the side that they need to be pushed out from and there is almost nothing showing. Whats the trick?
    Thanks.

I've never done it. But looking at the manual you pull the propeller Propellar_shaft_removal_tool.jpg shaft and it and accesses one bearing. Bearings aren't pressed in. After the one bearing is removed you remove a nut that holds the drive shaft assembly in. That makes access to the other bearing.

Comment

I didn't do the pic very well. Sorry

Comment

I have the manual also, but there are literally no instructions for how to remove the 2 bearings that are in the end of the bearing housing at the propeller end. Very frustrating.

Comment

Suzuki propeller shaft bearing housing crop.jpg I already have removed the propeller shaft bearing assembly from the lower unit and removed the shaft. The yellow highlight shows the bearings come out the propeller end. There is nothing to grab onto and a sliver to push on from left side to push out right side. The manual does not address the actual steps to remove them. They are definitely pressed in tighter than a Bulls butt.
          Attached Files

Comment

I have removed the propeller shaft seal protector and both seals. The 2 bearings are directly behind the 2 seals. No corrosion present on the bearings but I need to replace them because I need to clean up the bearing housing and i already damaged the bearings trying to drive them out from left to right using 1 inch pvc which fits perfectly in the bore of the housing pushing from left to right.

Comment

I can see why it would be frustrating, the book says use the specialty tools to draw out the bearing.... Remember the pages toward the front of the manual that shows the specialty tools? Have you looked through them to see if it had a tool? Grabbing straws here.

Comment

No special tool listed for pulling those bearings. I have since made one and removed those bearings by using my home made puller and lots of heat and muscle. I will post a picture later.

Comment

I watched an awesome video you you tube by Dangar Marine on working on the lower unit. Very interesting. I was thinking it was something like working on truck rear (end) differential, where you have to check the gears with carbon print paper. Will be interested in how you got out the bearings. I thought they would just slide out.

Comment

I was thinking you were talking about the gears on the inside (forward and reverse), that slide out. Wasn't thinking bearing. So, did yours have 2 roller bearings that you removed with the PVC pipe? I thought there was only one bearing there? BTW, PVC was brilliant to use there.

Comment

Home made bearing puller for suzuki prop shaft bearings.jpg The PVC just crushed when i tried to drive them out. I made homemade puller out of stainless pipe and rod. I froze the entire assembly and then quickly heater the outside of the bearing assembly casting with a torch while pulling the pipe through the bore and they came out. I will have to freeze the new bearings and heat the assembly housing to get the new ones in for sure.

Comment

The bearings i pulled out are on the tool. that is about where they sit in the housing.

Comment

Working...
                        X