Modular multi function gauge interface problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modular multi function gauge interface problems

My df300 multi function gauge loses memory reurally needing me to reprogram it almost every time I restart the boat. Any clue what causes this?

Can you give more info please - exactly what is being lost each time?

Note that the SMIS "gauge" is really just a display that shows data sent to it from the engine interface. So if engine configuration (eg engine year, hp, location etc) is being lost, then the problem is likely to be the interface cable rather than the SMIS display itself. In that case I would start by changing the T piece that the interface cable is connected to, they do sometimes go bad and can affect data being sent to the network. I would also check the physical connection from the interface cable to the engine, including any adapter cable - os make sure they are plugged in firmly, and that all wires going into the back of the plugs are in good condition.

Make sure you have a good power supply to the network, poorly charged batteries or bad wiring connections, corroded power wire may result in the interface losing engine configuration, so try putting the battery on a charger when you do the config.

If all that checks out, the interface cable itself is probably failing and a new cable may be required. (But make sure you get one with the correct software version for your engine year otherwise you will get bad data - see sticky post above re Suzuki networks.

The SMIS display itself holds its own setup - which means any custom pages you have set up are retained by the SMIS.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 01-21-2017, 09:45 PM.

Comment

mine looses my custom info from day one. brand new, just installed!! at least every 10 trips, and goes back to default. total BS. I'd just as soon have old style gauges. ''guess from what you said, all mine is bad or bab connection from the git-go.'' I think it's just a faulty no reliable system that suzuki needs to seriously address.

Comment

Originally posted by jettywolf View Post
        mine looses my custom info from day one. brand new, just installed!! at least every 10 trips, and goes back to default. total BS. I'd just as soon have old style gauges. ''guess from what you said, all mine is bad or bab connection from the git-go.'' I think it's just a faulty no reliable system that suzuki needs to seriously address.
        If that is the case, why wouldnt you simply take it back to your dealer and get them to fix it?

The vast majority of people have no issues like that, so when something is clearly not working properly, get if fixed, it will be under warranty.

In both yours and the OP cases, there could be seveal reasons for the issues.

One important one, other than the things I mentioned to the OP in my first reply, is incompatible software between the engine, the interface and the SMIS displays. To be reliable and stable, all versions need to "line up".

It all starts with the engine year, the first thing it requires is for the interface cable software version to match the engine year. Hvaing done that, the SMIS software version must follow.

Sometimes people, including dealers, install this system without paying due attention to the importance of this software alignment. It is a bad mistake. It is particularly prevalent problem when networks are being added to older engine installations.

Here is a link to the official Lowrance/Suzuki resource that covers engines from about 2010 onwards. Check what it says about the versions that work together. Then check what versions you are running, and see if they are as per recommendations.

Note that the interface software version cannot be checked on the SMIs gauges, they will only show their own software version. However, if you have another display like a C-10 or a Lowrance or Simrad MFD on the network, open their network device list, find the Suzuki device (engine key mist be turned on) and open it and you should find the software version listed there.

http://www.lowrance.com/Suzuki
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 08-30-2017, 11:11 PM.

Comment

its been three years and 1000 hrs (last week) i certainly can't take it to a dealer and have boat sit for a week, for them to try and figure it out, when its so sporadic. when new i called them numerous times and they said, ''never heard of such a thing''......lead me to believe, they were installer types, not real mechanics.

i feel for others who may have the same problem, even worse. thats why i chimed in.

other than that, the 250 zuki is one fine engine (compared to the two hondas i had previously)

thanks for all the great info.

Comment

I understand that. It seems that some Suzuki dealers dont take much notice or dont bother attending the technical education schools provided by Suzuki when this technology is taught.

Hopefully some of the info I provided will help you both figure out what is wrong and get your systems working as they should. Usually it is something simple.

I would just note that the purpose of this forum is to be a "problem solving" forum where people can share their knowledge and experience to help others.

Posts that contribute to that objective are always most welcome.

Comment

thats why I joined up. Plus I'm a happy suzuki owner. my livelihood depends on it. But, can I count on the dealers, in NE FL....Nope.

Found a Suzuki mobile guy and plan on using him if and when I need a real mechanic. Maybe I'll get it looked at then.

I'm here for the knowledge, for sure. Heck on another post I made a guy just down the street from me ended up the one I replied to and didn't know it.
              Small Small world.

Comment

Working...
              X