Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the SMG4 gauge display Seasonal Fuel used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the SMG4 gauge display Seasonal Fuel used?

I have a 2019 Suzuki DF250TX with the new SMG4 gauge, and a n2k network hooked up to my MFD. I'm trying to figure out if i can display the Seasonal Fuel used on the SMG4 gauge. Right now all i see is the Total Fuel used which gets reset when reset the trip information when I add fuel.

Unfortunately, my Raymarine MFD won't display the Season Fuel usage from the n2k network for some reason so I'm trying to figure out if the SMG4 gauge can display it.

No, it doesnt. This is one of the limitations of the SMG4 compared to the C10/interface based system.

Comment

Well, that's what I was kind of expecting, I was just hoping I missed it somehow. Unfortunately my Raymarine MFD, won't pick it up the Seasonal fuel usage either. I cannot figure out why, it pulls everything else. I'm hoping it's possible to pull the seasonal fuel usage data from SDIS?

Comment

You wont get seasonal fuel usage, FULL STOP.

Seasonal fuel use has never come from the engine, its a value based on data from the engine, which is then calculated by, and stored in the memory module in the Suzuki engine INTERFACE cable.

Since the SMG4 does NOT use the INTERFACE cable, seasonal fuel use, fuel remaining In the tank is not available, FULL STOP. Yes it’s disappointing and I have explained that to Suzuki, but they are deaf to customer feedback on this issue. You may have also found out that you cant “add fuel” when you only partially fill the tank.

This is another limitation of the New SMG4 engine monitoring system.

Note what I called it “SMG4 engine monitoring system”. Its a completely different system to the “Engine interface cable based engine monitoring system”.

The only way you could get this extra fuel information it is to add the Navico “fuel data manager” device to the same NMEA2000 network that the SMG4 is attached to. It does the same things as the memory module in the Suzuki engine interface cable.

But !!!!

That device will only work with Navico displays eg Lowrance and Simrad. It wont work with your Raymarine. No, it wont. No. No. No.

So if you really want that info, add a Simrad or Lowrance display to your network, plus a FDM device. Use the Simrad/Lowrance display to configure the FDM, and then away you go.

Comment

Thank you Moonlighter for your detailed explanation, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to explain it. The amount of confusing information online about this value is amazing.

I've also been chatting with Raymarine support, and they claim that the MFD's fuel manager software can calculate the season fuel usage based on the engines flow rate information. I will play around with that to see if i can get it to work. I'm assuming this is probably similar to how the Suzuki interface cable did calculated it for the old gauges..

Comment

Yes thats fine, happy to help.

If there is some fuel management feature in the Raymarine system That will do the job, then that would be good.

Good luck, it would be nice to hear back if you are unlimitedly successful in getting the Raymarine to do that for you.

Comment

I was able to successfully setup the Raymarine MFD to show Seasonal Fuel usage. As well as other fuel related matrix(all calculated in MFD). Raymarine support got back to me and instructed me to enable the fuel manager module under the settings. Once you enable the fuel manager module and setup your tanks with current volumes, seasonal fuel usage is calculated. The values are stored in the MFD, so you do not lose the information when you switch your batteries off. Ended up being a simple fix, took all but 30 seconds and everything works great now..

Comment

I just repowered my Seafox, replacing the DF150 with a DF250SS. In the process the dealer suggested replacing the legacy gauges with the SMG4 multi-gauge. I've noticed that the fuel gauge appears to be off, the gauge was reading 95 gallons in the tank, I stopped at the marina and added 15 gal and after 30 minutes of cruising, it was showing 91 gallons in the tank.

The multi-gauge user manual doesn't really address how the fuel gauge functions. Does it take a reading from the fuel sender or calculate based upon fuel usage? Can / Should I reinstall the analogue gauge, which worked but was pretty vague, based upon how the boat was sitting in the water.

Comment

There are 2 ways that these gauges show fuel information.

1. one way is via a connection to the fuel tank’s electrical sender unit. It is best to set this up from an empty tank and then calibrate it every 1/4 tank. But regardless, this method is only as accurate as the float in the tank and of course they move around with the boat’s movement. Of course, when you fill up, you dont have to do anything as the float level changes with fuel added or used.

2. the second way, far more accurate, is via a calculation drawn direct from the engine’s ecu (computer) it will be accurate to within 0.2 gallons out of 100 gal. . You have to reset fuel used when you fill up, it then resets fuel used to zero.

Here is a video about your new gauge and how it works. Look and learn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdghHrBpyWg

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter and then if I choose option 1, is their a gauge option, which indicates fuel remaining in an analogue or digital gauge? All I can find is Fuel Used in gallons, which knowing my tank capacity, I can use to figure remaining capacity, but that's not my preferred output.

Also, I'm connected via NMEA2000 to my Garmin 94sv, however I don't see any speed info on the Suzuki gauge, nor GPH, etc. Is that something that the dealer should have setup?

Thanks

Comment

SMG4 does not show fuel remaining. Only shows fuel used.

Apparently the Japanese guys who designed it think we should do the maths ourselves in our heads rather than they program it in. Ive raise this with various Suzuki reps but it falls on deaf ears. (You should be ale to set it up in your Garmin using the Garmin fuel manager)

Re the speed issue, there is a setting in the the SMG menu for speed source, you have to turn it OFF (yes that sounds wrong but its correct) and then the SMG will use the Garmin GPS speed data and calculate mpg etc.

Comment

Thanks, that did the trick, turning speed OFF, turned it on.

Just one final question. Should I set fuel to full via the Garmin or SMG4 or either?

Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckkoo View Post
                          Thanks, that did the trick, turning speed OFF, turned it on.

Just one final question. Should I set fuel to full via the Garmin or SMG4 or either?

Thanks!!
                          Both.

Because they have separate memory. The Garmin fuel manager doesnt talk to the Suzuki, and vice versa.

Comment

Working...
                          X