Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF90, DF100, DF115 issues

Hi!

What are the common issues on DF90, DF100, DF115 motors used on salt water?

Cylinder head or block corrosion?
    What other issues this motor may have?

Are you talking about new, current series engines?

Considering buying a brand new motor?

Or, are you asking about older, say pre-2008 year?

Let us know the context and you will get better answers.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 01-24-2017, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Hi ML

I'm talking about a used motor pre 2010

Comment

Pre-2008 the DF90-140 series had the well documented issues with

- plug in engine holder corroding
        - oil cooler corrosion issues on the 140.

The engine holder issue was dealt with after 2008 MY with a redesigned engine holder.

Oil cooler on the 140 can be managed thru regular maintenance and care.

A frequent issue on many 4 stroke outboards seems to be a failure to maintain, check and replace the engines internal anodes, which are vital to keep corrosion in check. So I would definitely pull them on any motor I was looking at to see how the look. Quick and easy job.

Occasionally IAC valves can cause issues, for some unknown reason they seem to happen on some boats, possibly several times, but on the majority, never.

Apart from that, just the normal maintenance and wear and tear issues, as far as I know. Water pumps, thermostats and the like.

Oh, also I suppose if you are coming to Suzuki 4 strokes from a 2 stroke or another manufacturer, the dual reduction gearbox means you have to re-learn what you know about propellors. They are quite different to prop. But the same principles apply - you need to get the boat propped on the engine will hit right up at the upper end of the recommended rev range. And get the engine height set right.

Finally, all EFI engines want clean fuel. You should consider a quality water separating fuel filter in the fuel lines as mandatory fitmnet to your boat.

Comment

Working...
        X