Faulty Gauges - Is this common?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty Gauges - Is this common?

I repowered with a Suzuki 300 a couple summers ago (177 hrs) and the gauge just went bad. Is this common? Been happy with the motor and recommend it often but this is concerning. Pretty expensive item to not last 2 years. Had a slight decrease in power to helm but even so that should not do in a gauge that is $500 + to replace.... Any other issues with this engine / electronic components?

Exactly what gauge are you talking about?

Comment

A6D3A1D3-2FBC-4FC5-B277-54215D3EF9AF.jpeg

Comment

Ok thanks.

For future reference, that is a Suzuki C-10 digital engine data display.

Your photo shows that the C-10 is operating. However, the dashes mean that it is not receiving engine Data from the network.

Its a common misconception that when this happens, the C-10 has failed or has a problem, but that is rarely if ever the case.

The way the Suzuki system works is that there is an Engine Interface cable that feeds data from the engine to a NMEA2000 network. Once received by the network, the data can be displayed on any suitable display screen that is also connected to the network. In this case, by the C-10.

So, what you now know is that something has affected the data getting onto the C-10 screen.

The first thing to check is therefore whether the engine interface is recognised on the network. The C-10 can help us do that by looking for devices on the network.

Here is how.

First, turn all other displays etc that are networked on.

Now, Turn the engine key on so the C-10 starts up. In the menu, select menu/system/network/device list. This opens up a screen listing everything that is connected to the network. You should see the C-10 itself listed, plus a Suzuki device. You can scroll down that page to see the names of all networked devices.

Report back with what you see listed. If there is no “Suzuki” engine device listed, is there a unknown device listed at the top with just dashes?

Secondly, the “slight decrease of power to the helm” that you speak of - please tell me more!

This is very important, because despite your thoughts that it was of no real significance, indeed it could be of great significance. These systems are VERY sensitive to power supply, and a poor or compromised power supply can and will affect them quite markedly.

So please explain that issue more completely.
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 07-30-2020, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Ok thanks.

Your photo shows that the C-10 is operating. However, the dashes mean that it is not receiving engine Data from the network.

Its a common misconception that when this happens, the C-10 has failed or has a problem, but that is rarely if ever the case.

The way the Suzuki system works is that there is an Engine Interface cable that feeds data from the engine to a NMEA2000 network. Once received by the network, the data can be displayed on any suitable display screen that is also connected to the network. In this case, by the C-10.

So, what you now know is that something has affected the data getting onto the C-10 screen.

The first thing to check is therefore whether the engine interface is recognised on the network. The C-10 can help us do that by looking for devices on the network.

Here is how.

First, turn all other displays etc that are networked on.

Now, Turn the engine key on so the C-10 starts up. In the menu, select menu/system/network/device list. This opens up a screen listing everything that is connected to the network. You should see the C-10 itself listed, plus a Suzuki device. You can scroll down that page to see the names of all networked devices.

Report back with what you see listed. If there is no “Suzuki” engine device listed, is there a unknown device listed at the top with just dashes?

Secondly, the “slight decrease of power to the helm” that you speak of - please tell me more!

This is very important, because despite your thoughts that it was of no real significance, indeed it could be of great significance. These systems are VERY sensitive to power supply, and a poor or compromised power supply can and will affect them quite markedly.

Comment

I edited my reply and now the system think sits something bad, somitsnon hold to be approved by *****.

You hsould see if later today with any luck.

Comment

Ok thanks.

Here is how.

First, turn all other displays etc that are networked on. Then, turn the engine key on so the C-10 starts up. In the menu, select menu/system/network/device list. This opens up a screen listing everything that is connected to the network. You should see the C-10 itself listed, plus a Suzuki device. You can scroll down that page to see the names of all networked devices.

Comment

Unfortunately this may all be for not as the Gauge was replaced by the dealer. There was wire that had corroded or weakened and was limiting power to the helm. I was told this ruined the gauge and it had to be replaced. To me it seams there would be something to protect against that in todays age of electronics. I have to assume he tested it thoroughly. I really wanted to find out if this was a common issue. Very well could be the lack of power and I have to own that but an expensive gauge to fail that easily I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by J2mort6678 View Post
                  Unfortunately this may all be for not as the Gauge was replaced by the dealer. There was wire that had corroded or weakened and was limiting power to the helm. I was told this ruined the gauge and it had to be replaced. To me it seams there would be something to protect against that in todays age of electronics. I have to assume he tested it thoroughly. I really wanted to find out if this was a common issue. Very well could be the lack of power and I have to own that but an expensive gauge to fail that easily I would think.
                  Personally, I think you've been had. I seriously doubt that the dealer checked anything on the gauge, or that he would even know how to troubleshoot the electronics in the gauge. Just replaced it and collected your money.
                  Last edited by Harper; 07-31-2020, 10:13 AM.
                  Mike
                  μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I agree with Mike. That sounds like complete BS to me.

Comment

I am getting gauge from him, wonder if I can send it to Suzuki and get it checked

Comment

Find a different dealer would be my suggestion.

There is a sticky thread I wrote at the top of this forum about Suzuki networks. If you want to understand this system and how it operates, it would be well worth your time reading it.

So you are more informed when next discussing this with a technician.

I doubt that Suzuki will want you to send anything to them, they have a dealer network that has the task of dealing with retail customers.

The C-10 is easily tested by plugging it into a T piece on a network that is known to be working correctly, and running a simple procedure to connect it up to data sources. A 10 minute job. I would be surprised if it didn’t work.

Or you could send it to me LOL!

Comment

Working...
                        X