Specify GPS source in the SMG4 gauge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specify GPS source in the SMG4 gauge?

Can you specify the GPS source for the SMG4 gauge to use?

I have two GPS sources plugged into my N2k network, my MFD and an external GPS Antenna. Can you specify which source the SMG4 gauge uses?

The next question is, how can you tell which source the SMG4 gauge is currently using?

I can see the GPS antenna and the MFD listed on the device listing page. I'm guessing that the first device listed on the Device list page is the source being used at that time? Additionally, my guess is that the SMG4 gauge will choose whichever GPS source gets the first GPS fix?

Dont know.

most times the choice is based on the best GPS fix.

is it causing issues?

Comment

It was more of an inquisitive question. I was going through the settings and I couldn't figure out how to select or identify which one it was using.

The MFD internal GPS source is newer and has a more accurate fix than the standalone N2K GPS antenna. However, the standalone antenna will get the fix faster since the N2K network gets powered on automatically as soon as the batteries are turned on. I typically don't start the MFD until I leave my mooring.

I plan to replace the standalone GPS antenna with a newer one with the compass so its not that big of a concern.

Comment

Working...
      X