Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03 DF140 Engine holder removal advice

Morning all,
    So its finally time to address the rotted thru engine holder plug after 18 years, what makes more sense,,,,and be gentle.
    I know i can just have it welded with a patch, but would it make more sense to take the lower unit off to get to it so i can really take a good look inside? Or is that a massive pain with getting it back on, (assuming new gaskets and bolts if needed),,think the 16 bolts would be a problem?
    Thanks, Just trying to get a grasp.
    P.

I've done the engine holder on my 07. It was only 10 yrs old when I did it, but had a problem with one of the 12 bolts (broke off). I would lose sleep over removing 16 year old ones. Was engine used in fresh water?

Comment

I did an 02 mod about 6 years ago with no bolts broken

Comment

Its been in salt its whole life,,, ya I think I'm going to have it welded with a patch. I have a sneaky suspicion its going to hopefully make it another 2-3 years then the oil an or water jacket will have corrosion issues.
        I'm really surprised, great running engine but they really fail in their metals dept for saltwater. The lower unit has already been redone and re-coated, the mid section due to corrosion and the mid section shaft bushing, now the engine holder... So they fail due to corrosion issues. And yes, im meticulous about flushing and all services.
        Thanks all,,

Comment

Was it fresh water service? I'm just saying to Paul Revere that his 02 is 18 years old. If he is serious about the job, he can do it. If he has a motor hoist to hold up the power head while he pulls the engine holder section it will cut his work in half. However, if it's been in salt water service for 18 years and has a lot of corrosion..... owwie. The bolts that break are on the inside of the exhaust, not along the edges. You can't heat them up and they present a real challenge. If he is a serious mechanic it very doable. Catacom, you'd agree it's probably a 3.5 out of 5 hammer job.
          So Paul, if you are serious about the work I can send you a list of what to tear apart. You need the book, but don't do the tear down according to it. You don't have to disassemble the power heard, just lift it out of the way.

Briscoe

Comment

Thank you so much Briscoe,,
            So what I've decided is that I'm going to weld a alum patch this week for the engine holder issue.
            Have you known of oil pan issues always coming to light as well?
            Being said, my next "concern" is the oil pan being next, and as you can see at 18yrs on the northeast coast, I'm just in a race with the devil for a full rip down(overhaul) to address the rest of the corrosion issues so internal corrosion& corroded bolts & I'm sure a few more issues.......no thanks.
            I'm going to get thru the next 2 seasons but get lined up for a new replacement of the exact same. This one ran smoothly and really without issue for 15-17 years and very reasonably priced, i know corrosion if imminent even on a new one, but heck, if i can get another 17 years of nothing but oil/filter & routine crap, I'll be almost 70!
            Thanks gain,
            PS-hope my ex wife doesn't read what I'm about to buy!

Comment

I am also running a pair of 2003 df140s. Replaced the iron plugs 3 years ago with aluminum plugs. These engines, like paulrevere's have been run in salt water since new and have not failed due to corrosion. I know I'm running on borrowed time in that regard, but....

This amazes me. Over the years, I have run Merc and OMC motors, all of which have failed due to corrosion in their 12th or 13th year.

BTW, there is currently 2,300 hours on these motors.

Amazing!

Comment

To continue, I had the welder fix the hole, one hell-of-a-patch if i must say,,,,100. and he did it in 40 minutes including one of my cigars. then i asked my dealer again about the likely hood of looking into new, an all he said was, I'll take your money, but wouldn't do it until they blow up? heck how can i complain with that response i guess, even asked about the oil pan and he said it barely happens so relax about it, if it does then reveal at that time but dont bank on it anytime soon.
                am i sleeping better at night? nooooo but hey, sometimes ya gotta just run with it.

Comment

Working...
                X