Hard to shift 2008 DF200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to shift 2008 DF200

I have twin DF200s with just over 500 hours on them on my boat. The port side is hard to get into gear, especially reverse. My local shop suggested it was the remote control box, so had it replaced, but still the same problem. If I unhook the shifting linkage at the motor I don't feel the resistance so I have now eliminated the cable and the gimbal.

Had the shop do a 100 hour service on the motors, and asked that the shifting be looked at but still the issue is there and they are not sure of the cause without tearing things down more.

Where should I be looking? It takes a lot of force to get it in gear which makes finessing the boat into my dock or move it around the boat loading area at the boat ramp a hassle.
    Last edited by frogbite; 08-05-2020, 03:37 PM. Reason: Added hours

Frogbite, I think it's worth having them pull lower unit. Truthfully, a lower unit is not as complicated as car transmissions. They have a forward and reverse gear, with a dog clutch that puts it forward or reverse. It sounds like something is going on with the dog clutch. Lower unit's are pretty bullet proof and it could be pretty straight forward. Look up "replacing dog clutch" on Dangar Marine. Just saying..........
    Briscoe

Comment

Thanks, I will look at the procedure to see what it involves to dig into it. I was hoping it could be something related to the rod that goes from the linkage down to the transmission. My thought was they could have checked this when doing the water pump, but I guess not.

Comment

Had the boat out this weekend and had a 30 mile trip out to the gulf stream. At some point the starboard side got much easier to shift, and I did not even realize there was an issue there as my previous boats were Yamhah and Mercury motors. I am now very amazed at. how smooth the starboard motor is shifting but still the port side is extremely hard to shift.

When I did have the shift cable unhooked a few months ago on the port motor it felt like how the starboard motor feels. Thinking there must be gunk or something I need to clean up, but just sure where. I don't want to start tearing apart to look into the dog clutch if I should be looking elsewhere.

Comment

I suppose you could drop the leg and try shifting and see if it makes any difference, it may just be a clutch shaft bearing or bush

Comment

Ah, this is an excellent idea, can't believe I did not think of it myself.

Comment

Working...
            X