Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repower 2002 DF140 to new DF140: Keep same harness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repower 2002 DF140 to new DF140: Keep same harness?

Hi guys:

I have a 2002 DF140 with the original harness, controls, and gauges. I am re-powering with a new 2017 DF140. The original controls & gauges were working fine - but they are 15 years old! The boat has seen about half saltwater and half fresh water use (about 600 hours total).

The dealer says there is an adapter harness that would allow me to keep the old harness/controls. The cost of a new harness and controls and installation is about $900.

My question: is it a good idea to replace the original wire harness with a new one? Or is the original harness/controls just fine to keep using?

Of course I want a reliable setup, so looking for input from you guys with experience on on weather it is worth the extra money to change out everything.

Thanks for your input!

personal experience -- saltwater does take a toll on wiring and connectors.
    I have experienced some connection failures due to corrosion
    one of the other good contributors to the forum, Redlowery, in another thread pointed out in 2005 Suzuki changed some of the wiring from an 8 pin to a 16 pin wiring configuration, which is what maybe the adapter harness the dealer has corrects.

I would suspect your gauges would not need replacing but with spending a fair sum on a new engine, I would opt for new wiring.
    Art

Comment

Working...
    X