Dual Battery System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Battery System

Hi, I have a 2015 Blue Wave 2200 PureBay with a 2015 Suzuki DF 150 SS. It was originally rigged with a PERKO switch with "2" "ALL" "1" "OFF" positions. I am thinking about installing "Blue Seas 7610 Dual Battery System", which includes the switch and their SI-ACR Automatic Charging Relay.

Currently, on the PERKO, the "white wire" the "bilge" and "ACC BUS BAR" are all connected to the "common post".

1. Is it worth the time and $ to replace the original PERKO system with the Blue Seas System only to provide for charging both "house" and "starting " batteries when the engine is running? Or is it just ok to switch the PERKO over to "ALL" to charge both batteries when the engine is running?

2. If I install the Blue Seas System, (a) should I connect the "white" wire directly to a "+" battery post or thru the switch? And, which battery, the "house" or the "starting" battery? (b) should I connect the "bilge" to the "house" or the "starting" battery?

3. The Blue Seas System provides and optional "Start Isolation (SI) connection to automatically disconnect when the starting circuit is engaged. This feature prevents starting currents from flowing thru the ACR. This connection is made thru the key switch to the starter solenoid wire, which I think is the "brown wire" at the key switch. Is this correct?

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you,

George

I suppose there a any number of ways to wire different boats
    My 2 battery system - battery 2 is used as reserve battery
    #1- i use 1 & 2 when running which charges both
    #2 right or wrong my system has all to Bat1
    #3 yes the brown wire activates the starter relay
    The gray wire is hooked to the key 'on' position and is the power source to the ECM

Maybe someone that has the Blue Seas system can tell you more
    Art

Comment

Dual battery charging

I much prefer a Blue Seas Dual Circuit Plus battery switch (dual battery charging combined with a simple on/off switch) to the old style Off/1/2/Both switch.
      The Blue Seas SI-ACR automatic sensing relay is dual sensing which is better than a single sensing relay as you can hook either battery to a charging source (mains charger, solar, generator...).
      If you operate the boat with an old style battery switch in the "Both or 1+2" position you have two batteries joined in parallel making one big battery which will only work as well as the weakest cell in the weakest battery. In other words, the weakest battery can drag down the best battery. The batteries should be matched for size and condition in these circumstances.
      Having said that, I used to drive around with my batteries in the "Both" position because it was too much trouble to "go out on #1 battery, come back on #2 battery," and generally mess about with or forget to change the charging arrangement.
      Hope this helps.
      Last edited by jfair880; 02-04-2017, 08:08 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I have my batteries set up as

#1 - start battery
        #2 - house battery

They are controlled via a BEP dual battery VSR quad cluster. Each battery has its own switch. And there is a third switch that allows them to be connected in parallel in an emergency.

The VSR gives priority to charging the start battery, and when it reaches full charge, the VSR then combines batteries so that the house battery then gets charged.

Once the engine is turned off, within a second or two the VSR separates the batteries again, thus protecting the start battery from being drawn down by any device operating on the house circuit. This also means that when the engine is restarted, the house battery is isolated and everything on it is protected from spikes.

So the system is very much "set and forget" - you just turn both batteries on at the start of a trip, and leave them there. The system manages them to maintain optimum charge without you needing to do anything.

This system is similar to the Blue Seas VSR system, except I gather that the Blue Seas uses a single switch.

My BEP system has been operating successfully for more than 6 years. Mine is set up as a square cluster but the can be done in a straight line as well, whatever suits.

Square Battery Distribution Cluster for Single Engine with Two Battery Banks | BEP

Battery Distribution Cluster | bep

My white wire is connected to the + side of the start battery switch. However, on a recent thread, I was advised that Suzuki now prefers it to be connected directly to the + of the start battery. Your choice.

You also asked if it is OK to switch from 1 to 2 or both on your existing switch when the engine is running. Generally NO it isn't. I will leave others to explain why.
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 02-05-2017, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Discussion about battery switching with engine running.

Change battery switch when boat is running. - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Comment

Dual Battery System

Hello Everyone! I just want to thank all of you that took time to address my questions. Your information has been very helpful. I haven't asked many questions, but I have read a lot of the posts and have learned so much. Again, thank you all!

I'm just about finished with the new Blue Seas System installation. Unfortunately, I live in a rural area outside a small town so supplies are not readily available. I just ordered marine grade battery cables and in-line fuse holders to complete the installation. I will let you know if I need anymore help.

Again, thank you!
            George

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg1974 View Post
              Unfortunately, I live in a rural area outside a small town so supplies are not readily available. I just ordered marine grade battery cables and in-line fuse holders to complete the installation.
              I know how you feel......everything ordered online, delivered to my gate by one carrier or another.
              Mike
              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
              X