Lower Unit Knocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Unit Knocking

My lower unit makes a knocking noise when on the ear muffs when I put the throttle in gear. The knocking is apparent and continuous at lower rpm’s but then goes away once RPM increase. My engine is a DF60 (2014). I took a video to demonstrate the noise, but I’m not sure how or if able to upload it? The engine has run flawless to this point. Also the noise is not apparent when the boat is in the water and under way, but I recently developed a single knocking noise (much louder) which is what led me to testing on the muffs. In order to be on the safe side I checked and replaced the Suzuki lower unit gear oil and everything looked normal. Any suggestions on what to check?

Bump........

Comment

I have a 2019 350 on my 25' bay boat and at 51.3 hours the lower unit failed. My servicing dealer pressure tested the lower unit and determined the seals were still good. He found lots of metal shavings in the lower unit oil. Lower unit was services per Suzuki technician bulletin at 20 hours. At the time of failure the lower unit oil was still good. I was informed yesterday that the lower unit for my particular application is on back order status.

Comment

Harvey: did the dealer give you a reason the lower unit failed? Also, did you develop a knocking noise/what caused you to take it to dealer...

Comment

Dealer Conclusion: everything is normal. The noise I hear when putting it in gear is normal gear noise that goes away once rpm are increased. Tech also mentioned that what really matters is that no noises are heard when in neutral as there are still gears, etc. spinning when in neutral.

Comment

Working...
          X