Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 07/08 DF140 - noise and prop question

Hi guys,

I have a DF140. Has stamp on plug saying its Dec 07 but has new type engine holder (without plug issue).

1/ I recently went in a boat with a 2012 DF140 and it seem to run quieter than mine? Anyone know why this may be? Is it normal? When i say quieter i mean just general engine noise, not tappet noise etc. Mine seems to growl more when im up it.

2/ I put on a brand new zook prop last year. Ive noticed that the paint is wearing of on the leading face on each blade (you can see it from looking from the rear of the engine). I get no cavitation at all and havent hit anything. I looked at the prop on the other DF140, which is on exactly the same type of boat and been on for alot of hours and its all still painted. Any ideas?

1. The 2012 DF140 is the new A series engine, and is a really substantial revision compared to your 2007 engine. They do sound quite different from the previous series, as you have noted. If you were to look at them side by side under the cowl, you would see how different they are.

2. Prop - probably just run thru some sand or mud. Wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

On the prop issue, I have seen the paint erosion issue on a couple of boats where the issue was getting some cavitation on the leading edge of the blade. While the cavitation may not be enough for you to notice in overall performance, it can still cause the paint erosion. On the ones I have seen it was caused by small imperfections on the leading edge of the blade or the blade geometry is slightly off. However, it can also be caused by up stream imperfections in the hull itself.

Comment

Originally posted by racehydro View Post
        On the prop issue, I have seen the paint erosion issue on a couple of boats where the issue was getting some cavitation on the leading edge of the blade. While the cavitation may not be enough for you to notice in overall performance, it can still cause the paint erosion. On the ones I have seen it was caused by small imperfections on the leading edge of the blade or the blade geometry is slightly off. However, it can also be caused by up stream imperfections in the hull itself.
        Yeah i thought it might be cavitation, but as i said i couldnt detect any? The wear marks arent right on the edge either so didnt think it was from hitting sand, and that i go ocean not creaks etc. The prop was brand new but it did get a slight ding on an edge in transport....i banged it out best i could as i didnt want it to chip off so maybe thats it? Can hardly see it by eye but can feel the raise when you run your fingers over it.

Comment

Working...
        X