I can not display fuel economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can not display fuel economy

I have owned this boat/motor (Triumph 235cc/Suzuki 250 for a number of years, since it was new. Research done years ago indicated the fuel economy function would not operate without a pitot/speedwheel input, so I stopped troubleshooting. I recently discovered the speed input could be changed to Ground/GPS speed. I changed the speed input to this mode and still can not view fuel economy. The fuel flow/consumption displays the gallons per hour consumed in real time. The fuel this trip functions properly. The ground speed displays correctly. I have the system with two large and two small gages. I tried to set it up on both of the large gages and no MPG was displayed on either, I think this rules out a gage problem. All the necessary inputs to determine MPG seem to be present but if I wish to determine MPG I must manually calculate using MPH and GPH. Any body have any ideas? Thanks

What gauges do you have? There are many different ones. Post a picture if you can of your dash so we can see.

I suspect you may have the round SMIS digital gauges, Gauges, Modular Instrument Systems, SMIS Gauges*| Suzuki Marine

(this is a link - tell us if yours are same) that show a whole lot of engine data including temp, engine hours etc we may be able to help:

These SMISs displays can show mpg with either pitot speed or GPS speed input - obviously, GPS speed will be far more accurate and is the preferred data source. Also many motors do not output pitot speed to the NMEA2000 network.

If course, you will only be be able to select GPS as the data source if you have a GPS antenna attached to your network!

Which GPS antenna do you have on yours? It could be a small puck antenna, or a GPS/Sounder combo unit. Doesnt matter which.

Ok, if that is all good, you need to go to the page that shows mpg as a data item.

To change Economy Speed source:
    1. Press MENU MENU, and FUEL SETUP is the default location.
    2. FUEL SETUP is Highlighted and you can press ENTER. Scroll to ECO
    SPEED SRC.
    3. Highlight ECO SPEED SRC and press ENTER to open the Economy Speed menu. The menu has two options: Water Speed (Paddlewheel) and Ground Speed (GPS).
    4. Select the desired speed source and press ENTER. You will be taken back to the main display.

Here is a link to the SMIS gauge manual, page 33 tells you how to do this.

https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...nch_Manual.pdf
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 02-13-2017, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Grant I am still in the learning curve
      But was not aware of a setting for MPG miles per gallon
      Is there?

Comment

Yep. See link to the SMIS manual in last post, Art. Edit : see page 40.

Can remmeber if its on the standard fuel management page or if we had to set up a custom page, but either way its fairly easy.

Ive got economy set up on my mate's Striper with DF300 with 2 x SMIS gauges - we of course use metric system, so we show as km/litre.

Ive also got km/litre set up on my boat, shows on both the Simrad GO7 xse and the Lowrance HDS5 screens.

It shows that in good conditions i run at about 2.2 - 2.6km/litre. Depending on speed and conditions. It doesn't vary greatly between 3800-5000rpm. DF115 on 5.5m cuddy.
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 02-14-2017, 06:04 AM.

Comment

My MPG runs about 4.5-4.8 at a 4000 RPM cruise in reasonable waters sourced from GPS.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks I just have tried to convert it
            I have the the Lowrance HDS 9
            So I am going to have to look harder at the menus because I don't remember seeing that as a readout option
            Art

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
              Thanks I just have tried to convert it
              I have the the Lowrance HDS 9
              So I am going to have to look harder at the menus because I don't remember seeing that as a readout option
              Art
              You can add it as a data overlay item on any screen, Art, that is one way.

On the screen you want it on, from memory, go into menu/page setup/data overlay/edit data overlay/menu - add new item, then look in the list of items under boat or engine, i forget which its under, then select fuel economy. If you have a browse around in that menu tree it will also show you the full range of data that can be displayed.

See the photo of my HDS below, fuel economy is the third data item from the top left: from top to bottom, the items shown on that screen are (boat was sitting in my driveway when shot was taken when I firts set up my network)

- SOG
              - engine temp (C)
              - fuel econ km/litre
              - fuel remianing (litres) (i have since changed that to "fuel used" as I know I have a 100 litre tank)

I find these are the main things I like to keep an eye on. I have voltage on another screen.

Also, on one of the dashboard screens, you can edit one of the digital items on the screen to show fuel economy instead of whatever it is currently set as. So for example on this screen you can edit either of the items at the bottom that currently show fuel used (0.2 litres) or trip distance (60.4kms), and change one of them to fuel economy:

But I have found that having it set as a data overlay item as shown in the first pic on my most commonly used screen is best - that way I can easily see it without having to switch screens.
              Last edited by Moonlighter; 02-14-2017, 09:13 PM.

Comment

I can get the MPG readings on both the Suzuki multifunction gauge and my Garmin chartplotter. Had to set up the source and configure it on the MF gauge, then it reads out on the Garmin. The MF gauge gets it's GPS info from the Garmin. Once the MF gauge has properly configured the fuel flow and calibrated the interface, the Garmin can stand alone.
                Last edited by Harper; 02-14-2017, 07:57 PM.
                Mike
                μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I cannot display fuel economy

I went down to the dock and gathered additional information.
                  GPS in the system is a Lowrance LGC-2000 GPS (Hockey puck looking antenna on the T-Top.
                  System information:
                  NMEA Ver 1.2
                  LMF-400, Ver 1.0.0, Build CA1319.
                  GAGE CLUSTER.jpg
                  I set the Econ SRC to ground speed. The gauge shows the input for both Fuel Flow and Ground speed correctly. The Econ shows dashes like there is no input to the display. I tried to use each of the 4" gauges and encountered the same issue. It would seem unlikely that both gauges would have the same malfunction so I am at a loss to determine the problem.
                  Gage.jpg

I do have a Garmin GPSMAP441s and Garmin GPSMAP1040SX installed on the boat but they are not connected to the NMEA data bus. If I can not get the gauges to function I may buy the hardware to attach then to the system but I would prefer to use the gauges for engine information and the Garmins for navigation and fishing.

Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Very strange..... just some thoughts.....

Firstly, the engine has to be running and the boat has to be moving to get mpg. I imagine youve tried that, but anyway ......

Secondly, those old LCG 2000 GPS pucks are prone to failure. I would be suspicious of a lack of speed data being a cause ..... plus i could only see "water speed" showing on your right side gauge.

Are you 100% certain that you are getting GPS ground speed on the gauges showing from that source?

Try an alternative speed over ground source, you could easily unplug that puck from the network and use the same cable to plug into one of your Garmins, the system should then use the Garmin's internal antenna as GPS data source for speed and this will show on the SMIs gauges. Worth a try. Let us know how you go.
                    Last edited by Moonlighter; 02-16-2017, 04:42 PM.

Comment

The LMF400 also has page for GPS coords, too....Lat/Long. If you are getting good GPS signal you should be able to bring up the position. If you can't bring up the coords, then your likely not getting any GPS ground speed info, either.
                      Last edited by Harper; 02-16-2017, 07:15 PM.
                      Mike
                      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Also, my boat is a Triumph, too.....195CC. Are you on the Triumph forum, too?
                        Mike
                        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                        X