Stainless steel prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless steel prop

Stainless steel props. I changed to stainless ,but I feel like it’s louder when I shift gears. Is this normal?

Uhh...... louder where? and what gears are you shifting? What model outboard?
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

2018 Suzuki 150. When you put in forward or reverse. From the lower end unit.

Comment

Haha, just pulling your leg .... about shifting gears. As far as being louder, I assume you're referring to exhaust noise. Not sure why the prop should make an audible difference, but I really doubt that there's any reason for concern. Might just have to do with the overall design, the shape of the flare at the prop center, things like that. If you're tilting it up a little farther, that could change the tone, too. And without the inherent flex of the aluminum props, for a given RPM, you should be moving a little faster, allowing more exhaust gasses to escape to the air bafore the water column moves back over the exhaust stream.
        Last edited by Harper; 09-03-2020, 07:06 PM.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

You will typically hear a louder “clunk” when putting the engine into gear if using a stainless prop, simply because they are a lot heavier than alloy.

Nothing to worry about if that is all.

But do make sure you have the correct thrust washer fitted behind the prop and havent left anything off.

Comment

Yes, I misread your post .... louder when shifting ..... I agree with Moonlighter. More mass there. You might even "feel" it. Not to worry.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Solas 3x15x19. With Rubex hub kit..seems like a good prop.i was just concerned about the louder clunk..sounds like that’s normal,thanks for the response..

Comment

You May want to make sure you got the right hub kit, I’m looking at this link because I just got a newer used watergrip prop and it doesn’t fit when my 2018 Watergrip prop does. Looks like after 2018 hubs may have changed, just not sure yet.
                https://suzukioutboardmarine.com/pro...eel-propeller/

Comment

I am having an issue with The new watergrip prop not fitting correctly on my 2007 df 250. I have the correct hardware kit and bushing stopper that was recommended by Procession Marine but the prop doesn’t seem to make good contact with the bushing. Anyone else have this issue on the older outboards?

Comment

Concerning my previous post. The face of the thrust washer hits the prop shaft seal before the taper seats.

Comment

Working...
                    X