Anodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anodes

I have a question I would like an opinion on. Just did some maintenance on my 2017 DF140A. I changed the anodes as part of the process and applied axle grease to the 8 mm bolts that holds and anode to its housing to aid in removing them down the line. Also put it on the lower unit bolts for the same reason. Will this impact the ability of the anode to function as intended? I would think there is enough metal to metal contact between the anode housing and the head/block when mounted but I’m not sure.
    Last edited by CentralTexas; 09-04-2020, 11:39 AM.

I'm not 100% sure, either, but I don't believe it will liit their function. The round internal anodes are aluminum and are sacrificial, like any anode. As long as the exposed anode surface is not greased or painted or covered in any way, I think they will serve their purpose. And they should still be contacting the metal of the engine adequately.

Where are you in Central TX? Ever heard of Harper?
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I’ve been through Harper many times on my way from Fredericksburg to I-10. I did live in Bee Cave (just outside Austin) but retired and moved in 2017. Back then you replied to some maintenance questions I had when I was researching what type of boat I was going to buy, it was much appreciated.

I think I’ll pull one of the anodes in a few months and make sure they are “working”. After 3 years they were pretty eaten up (50%).

Comment

Thanks for jogging my memory. So you're in Fritztown now? Hope you're weathering the latest "crisis" okay.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Actually not Fritztown but I can see how you’d think that now that I reread what I wrote. Went a little further south, down to the Caribbean.

Comment

Oh yeah, now I remember! Your the guy who moved to a small island off the coast of Hondurus. Sounds like heaven, brother. Has your DF140 been as dependable as you had hoped?
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

The engine has run great. The boat I had built was splashed Dec of 2017 so the engine has been run for a little less than 3 years and has about 230 hours on it. The only problem I have had was a plugged low pressure filter at about 120 hours and that doesn’t really count as a engine related problem. It started bogging down when I tried to go over 5000 RPM.

First thing I did was check the low pressure filter and it was plugged up. Next thing I did was check my racor and I assumed it had to be plugged as well. When I cut the filter open to check it was perfectly clean. Turned out when they installed the racor (the one I bought had a housing to run dual tanks with 2 ins and 2 outs) they installed the out fuel line to the second “in” port. All the fuel was bypassing the filter element. Besides oil changes and grease this is the first major service I’ve done. Just finished doing the water pump, anodes, plugs, thermostat, low pressure filter check, vst drain and a 2 hour flush with Rydlyme to clear any build up out. Owner’s manual calls for tappet clearance check at 300 hours so I think I’ll wait and do that with my next oil change in about 50 hours.

As a side note, the man who built my boat for me was a diehard Yamaha man. He was a little reluctant when I put the DF140A on. Since building my boat everything he’s built since then has been powered with a Suzuki. I couldn’t be happier with the boat or the motor.

Comment

That's great! Thanks for the update. Good to know that it has served you well.
                Mike
                μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                X