Weird NMEA Suzuki Interface Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird NMEA Suzuki Interface Problem

I purchased a Garmin 842xs for my boat '08 DF115 and ordered the interface cable and tied all together with NMEA 2000 network, everything worked great. Then, I changed out the Garmin 842xs for a 942xs Plus. Now, I'm showing a fuel flow indicator that I didn't have on the 842xs, but I don't have a needle indicator on the engine temp, gauge is there but no data. Any ideas???

PS- I didn't change any connections on the motor, changed only the Garmin MFD.

PPS- I also have (2) CZONE switch modules on the network, but that shouldn't affect data from the interface to the MFD.

Whenever you change a device on a NMEA2000 network, it is best to reset network data sources so the old device is removed from network memory and the new one is properly recognised.

So, Find the network sources Menu on the new Garmin and run an auto select for network data sources. If you cant figure it out, consult your Garmin manual or talk to Garmin. Its not a Suzuki issue.

Comment

Ok, looking into that....I tried every menu to no avail, will be calling Garmin on Tuesday to find out.

One follow up question, what engine data is available to the MFD from the interface? 2008 DF115 with interface version 2.9.0-MZ1623C-B1.0

Comment

Engine data transmitted to network

RPM, alternator voltage, engine temperature, engine hours, trim, fuel flow rate, fuel used, seasonal fuel used, trip fuel used.

You can also get additional sensors including water speed, water pressure, fluid levels, and water temperature to add to your network or engine.

Comment

Ok. Thank you so much. I’m looking into what’s wrong here. I’ll plug my old Garmin in and see if the water temp comes back.
          Last edited by FlatsRaider; 09-05-2020, 09:18 PM.

Comment

So I plugged the old GPSMAP 840xs in and got the engine temp with the needle, works fine. I put the new GPSMAP 942xs Plus back in and all I get is the temp gauge with no a data. I restored the unit to factory default settings and still no joy.

Comment

This is a Garmin problem, not a Suzuki problem.

All I can suggest is that you find the data source for the problematic temp gauge and set it to look at the Suzuki engine.

Or, As previously mentioned, Garmin, like all manufacturers, surely has a procedure to auto select data sources for all items or reset them, you need to find what that procedure is and how to do it. Call Garmin support.

Comment

I think I may have found the problem...the temp data, is that engine coolant temp? Or engine oil temp?....I switched to engine coolant temp on the gauge and I’ve got data. I assume that was what I had set wrong???

Comment

Suzukis do not send engine oil temp to the network.

Only engine temp. From temp sensors I believe in the cyl head.

Selecting the correct data source for a display is always important. You have now done that for one gauge.

Think of this stuff like your home wifi network. If your old printer gets replaced by a new one, you have to reset the network to tell the new printer to connect to the network. Just because its made by the same company doesnt come into the equation. The new one still needs to find the right network to connect to and make that connection.

Same here. Every gauge on the garmin screen is set to look to a specific place to get the right data. You can either select them individually, or as Ive said, use the global reset procedure to do it. The global reset purges all the old data source settings and resets them based on all the current devices it sees on the network.

On Lowrance and Simrad and Suzuki gauges, its easy, go into network settings and select auto select or auto detect for data sources, it then resets everything on the network in one quick step. I am sure there is an equivalent method on Garmin, I just dont use Garmin so I dont know exactly what it is.
                  Last edited by Moonlighter; 09-09-2020, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X