DF175 Engine Oil Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF175 Engine Oil Change

Good morning, I plan to change my engine oil this weekend. The last time I change my oil, I used Mobil One 10W-40 synthetic oil. I recently noticed that the Mobil One oil I used doesn't meet the API specification of SE, SF,SG,SH or SJ. The classification on the Mobil One is SN, SM & SL. I just want to make sure the Mobil One I am using is good enough as far as classification. The Mobil One is the high mileage oil but still synthetic.

Thanks

Those classifications, SN, SM & SL are improvements on the SE, SF,SG,SH and SJ classifications. The printed specifications that the manufacturer calls for are often already behind the newest specs by the time they hit the printer. So don't worry about letters further up the alphabet. Before you know it we'll be seeing SO, SP or SQ.

That said, I think you should consider that automotive oils are not the best choice for your motor, because they are designed for use in engines that run much hotter than an outboard. It's probably not going to hurt anything to use an automotive oil, but the oils designed for outboards are specifically designed for cooler running to handle such things as some water intrusion, and dilution by fuel. I am not sure, but I do think Mobil 1 has a marine version. I use Amsoil full synth marine oil, personally.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
      X